Should I submit my app now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2PINZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been a visitor to sdn for awhile now, and finally signed up as I'm seeking some help. Thank you in advance for your comments. I, like many other posters in the Pre-Pod section, have just decided to pursue a DPM after shadowing a DPM. I was originally planning on applying to a 1 year SMP then MD or DO school, but a DPM route with a 3 year surgical residency sounds really exciting to me (especially after shadowing through a surgery).

My current stats are: 3.15 GPA, 3.00 sGPA, and I've taken the MCAT once without much studying and received a 22S. Since graduating from undergrad in 2011, I've just done a lot of research work with the DOD and NIH.

I live just outside of DC, and therefore Temple and NYCPM are my top choices as I want to stay near home. My question is that I have all the required materials ready to go, but I've signed up for a Princeton Review MCAT prep course and plan on taking the MCAT again on March 23rd. I'm very confident that I will score much higher (I believe 30/31) by the time I take it, but should I wait to apply?

Should I apply now and indicate that I will be taking it again in March? I just want to maximize my chances...or at least, not do anything to hurt myself in terms of timing/playing the application game.

All comments are much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I've been a visitor to sdn for awhile now, and finally signed up as I'm seeking some help. Thank you in advance for your comments. I, like many other posters in the Pre-Pod section, have just decided to pursue a DPM after shadowing a DPM. I was originally planning on applying to a 1 year SMP then MD or DO school, but a DPM route with a 3 year surgical residency sounds really exciting to me (especially after shadowing through a surgery).

My current stats are: 3.15 GPA, 3.00 sGPA, and I've taken the MCAT once without much studying and received a 22S. Since graduating from undergrad in 2011, I've just done a lot of research work with the DOD and NIH.

I live just outside of DC, and therefore Temple and NYCPM are my top choices as I want to stay near home. My question is that I have all the required materials ready to go, but I've signed up for a Princeton Review MCAT prep course and plan on taking the MCAT again on March 23rd. I'm very confident that I will score much higher (I believe 30/31) by the time I take it, but should I wait to apply?

Should I apply now and indicate that I will be taking it again in March? I just want to maximize my chances...or at least, not do anything to hurt myself in terms of timing/playing the application game.

All comments are much appreciated!

You know when i shadowed a podiatrist, the 1st question she asked me is why am i interested in podiatry, i told her i was interested in the surgical aspects of the field, she then started giggling, and had an intern that had a funny smile on. They told me podiatry doesn't involve much surgery, most of your job is clipping toenails and primary care/routine work. She was a very skilled podiatrist, very intelligent and went to an ivy league undergraduate school and went to a really good residency. She even told me maybe to look into other fields if surgery is what interests me. Also from what i saw many of her patients were reluctant to get surgery done since they would be in pain and not be able to work/walk for a long time and these people had jobs that they didn't want to be out of work for months and that the recovery process does take a long time. Most of the patients, i'd say 90% were coming in for routine fungal/nail care. This was also a very busy group practice. The other 10% you may get something exciting like an ingrown toenail removal. But from my experience, being there not a single patient required surgery.

I think that your plan is great.

You can apply now and see what happens. I am sure that the schools with larger class sizes will invite you. You will need a higher MCAT for schools that have smaller class sizes.

Members don't see this ad :)
as long as you dont want to go to a pod school with a small class you will probably be ok

You know when i shadowed a podiatrist, the 1st question she asked me is why am i interested in podiatry, i told her i was interested in the surgical aspects of the field, she then started giggling, and had an intern that had a funny smile on. They told me podiatry doesn't involve much surgery, most of your job is clipping toenails and primary care/routine work. She was a very skilled podiatrist, very intelligent and went to an ivy league undergraduate school and went to a really good residency. She even told me maybe to look into other fields if surgery is what interests me. Also from what i saw many of her patients were reluctant to get surgery done since they would be in pain and not be able to work/walk for a long time and these people had jobs that they didn't want to be out of work for months and that the recovery process does take a long time. Most of the patients, i'd say 90% were coming in for routine fungal/nail care. This was also a very busy group practice. The other 10% you may get something exciting like an ingrown toenail removal. But from my experience, being there not a single patient required surgery.

The DPM i shadowed here in northern virginia was a part of a clinic as well as affiliated with a hospital, where he would go twice a week. I need to ask him more about this, but I don't think the idea that surgery is a rare, comet-like event in the field is an accurate portrayal. I feel like if you really want to do that, and I want research to be a big part of whatever career I end up in, you can find ways to do it and affiliate yourself in the areas and with the people that do that. I'm not saying routine care isn't going to be the blunt of your work, but I do believe you can find opportunities to do more. I'm sure this topic has been addressed in another thread...I'll look for it.

as long as you dont want to go to a pod school with a small class you will probably be ok

Ok...well NYCPM and Temple have the 2nd and 3rd largest class sizes so that's good. I will contact them and ask them what they think as well.

the amount of surgery a pod does is dependent on their practice. The pod i shadowed loved surgery and did not like the routine care stuff. He ended up going to another practice where he would only do surgery.

The only school that has gotten really strict with admittance has been DMU from what I have seen on the forums. I am pretty sure you will get into those schools maybe even with your 22 to be honest.