This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@pinnacle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know that it only takes a couple of days for processing any other additional applications after you have already been verified. So I submitted my application and personal statement(PS) with only one job shadowing experience to ICO ( probably won't be attending) about a week ago just to get verified. In the meanwhile, I am looking to build at least one more shadowing experience before sending my PS to other schools that I am more inclined to attend. Since the PS is not modifiable after you submit and also because I feel that briefly mentioning the different optometrist practices (private, chain, etc ) one has shadowed makes a more appealing PS, I have decided to wait until end of this week as I most likely will hear back from a chain optometry & vision therapy clinic about job shadowing. Would you guys do anything different in my situation? ahhh the conflict that is going in my mind right now..... Thank you .

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I see your dilemma. It's getting sort of late in the application cycle now. By the time you hear back from the clinic and schedule shadowing and do the shadowing, 2 weeks might have passed - and then you have to rewrite your PS. You should definitely do more shadowing, since you only have one shadowing experience right now, but I don't know if I would wait to submit apps based on it. You can always add more stuff to the "Experiences" section as you go along, and when you land interviews, you can talk a bunch about your shadowing there.

Hmm, I see your dilemma. It's getting sort of late in the application cycle now. By the time you hear back from the clinic and schedule shadowing and do the shadowing, 2 weeks might have passed - and then you have to rewrite your PS. You should definitely do more shadowing, since you only have one shadowing experience right now, but I don't know if I would wait to submit apps based on it. You can always add more stuff to the "Experiences" section as you go along, and when you land interviews, you can talk a bunch about your shadowing there.
Thanks for your input. I realize the lateness of my application, and I think I have elaborated what all there is to learn from shadowing already in my PS. Plus , I haven't heard back from the clinics . I think the best thing now would be to not mention the types of practices I have job shadowed .