should i switch my major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr duey

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so heres the deal. Ive recently realized that i dont enjoy my major or the profession, IT. Ive decided to pursue medicine and specifically md. I know its an odd major for premed but im already in 2nd year..

Should i switch to bio or just take the pre reqs?

Also what do you guys think about selling 1 of my kidneys to help pay for college.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so heres the deal. Ive recently realized that i dont enjoy my major or the profession, IT. Ive decided to pursue medicine and specifically md. I know its an odd major for premed but im already in 2nd year..

Also what do you guys think about selling 1 of my kidneys to help pay for college.

If you don't like IT, then you won't really have desirable job options if MD ended up not working for you. So don't stick with IT!

You can choose any major and fulfill the pre requisites for medical school. What I would do is choose the major that would help you land a job you would enjoy AS A BACKUP PLAN.

I'm saying this now because the majority of pre-meds at my university ended up switching out of the medical path and fell into a pretty bad predicament. All of these pre-meds were, like yourself, dead-set on choosing medicine as their career path. They then chose the easiest path towards medicine (biology), and ended up stuck with biology-oriented jobs when they realized that medicine wasn't right for them.

If you like bio, good. Switch to bio. Maybe do some research with faculty.
If you don't like bio, then choose some other major and tack on some med school pre-requisites every semester.

BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT... Please, volunteer at a hospital. Don't choose medicine without actual experience in the field. That's like pre-med mistake #1.

I'm still shaking my head about this one guy who told me he wanted to be a psychiatrist, but never dealt with a clinically insane person in his life. Don't be that guy.

Not sure if serious or if trolling...lol

But in all honesty, you have only need one kidney. Why be selfish and keep both? loljk please don't do that. I would keep the IT major and just do the pre reqs. Having a bio degree is not a great fallback and by not I mean you won't get a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if serious or if trolling...lol

But in all honesty, you have only need one kidney. Why be selfish and keep both? loljk please don't do that. I would keep the IT major and just do the pre reqs. Having a bio degree is not a great fallback and by not I mean you won't get a job.
You can get a job. It just will be ****ty without additional licensing or PHD.
With a bachelor's I got two job interviews for a tech position at both government and private clinical research facilities . This was made possible due to my past research experience rather than my major though. The pay is the standard 4-5k a month starting. Nothing too grand, and very monotonous work.

As for the kidney, well... It's not even worth that much. Not even good enough for a year's worth of rent or tuition. You only get two, and you might need an extra just in case...
I say keep it. It ain't worth it.

Sperm and blood on the other hand...

You can get a job. It just will be ****ty without additional licensing or PHD.
With a bachelor's I got two job interviews for a tech position at both government and private clinical research facilities . This was made possible due to my past research experience rather than my major though. The pay is the standard 4-5k a month starting. Nothing too grand, and very monotonous work.

As for the kidney, well... It's not even worth that much. Not even good enough for a year's worth of rent or tuition. You only get two, and you might need an extra just in case...
I say keep it. It ain't worth it.

Sperm and blood on the other hand...

What I was going for (as I stated in a more extreme fashion) is that the IT degree will grant the OP degree more job opportunities than a bio degree. Now will OP be happy? Idk probably not. Ha, same here my research is the only thing that got me one of my current jobs.

What I was going for (as I stated in a more extreme fashion) is that the IT degree will grant the OP degree more job opportunities than a bio degree. Now will OP be happy? Idk probably not. Ha, same here my research is the only thing that got me one of my current jobs.

You are right in a sense that a B.S in Bio won't give you very much job opportunities. Even research spots are at best second-rate, and better paying ones require at least a master's. At least you can jump right into the workforce with an IT. With a Bio B.S, you'd get better cash tutoring...

The problem with IT is that it's over-saturated (presumably with outsourced labor?). It'll be hard to find a job even with a solid resume, unless you're willing to travel far and follow the money.

Bio does make up for it's slow start by offering a diverse array of jobs if you do go on to get further licensing or get an M.S/PHD. And the demanding pre-requisites for these jobs tend to free them from the tendency to be over-saturated.

I would say more, but it looks like the OP was removed. Perhaps we were trolled.