About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.
  2. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

should i take a gap year or apply. Please Advise

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by angldrps, Mar 4, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. angldrps

angldrps

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. Iliketoytles

Iliketoytles

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think you have plenty of clinical experience. Your ECs look very well-rounded and great! Yes, starting a small business would be leadership, for sure. Your MCAT is fantastic, and will make up for your lower GPA.

I don't think you should take a gap year. You seem to have everything ready to go already, including LORs. Why wait? :)

Gogogo!
  3. help2

help2

Pre-Medical
    Agreed. You have a great shot :)
    Don't put it off unless there is something else you really want to do before you go to med school (keep in mind, you can always work in a clinical setting during the year you are applying).
  4. eccentric jet

eccentric jet

Medical Student
    I had similar MCAT, similar GPA, and although it's hard to compare EC's you prob have me beat there. I got waitlisted at a few MD programs but accepted at the only osteopathic school I applied to and never looked back. I see no reason not to go for it this year.
  5. angldrps

angldrps

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    there really isn't anything else i want to do. i graduated in june and spent all my time until January to study for the mcat. i knew with a 22 no school would even consider me. now, all i want to do is fulfill my dream of becoming a D.O. hopefully, at least one school will consider me good enough and give me a chance.
  6. Iliketoytles

Iliketoytles

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think you'll have no problem getting interviews as long as you raise that MCAT to about a 27-28.

Oh, and apply EARLY. This really matters a lot more than people think (of course, there are the exceptions... but don't risk it).
  7. eccentric jet

eccentric jet

Medical Student
    He/she already said they got 32 on the retake!
  8. Iliketoytles

Iliketoytles

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh ya! Ha... never mind then!
  9. dntke1518

dntke1518

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ^^ :thumbup::thumbup:
  10. angldrps

angldrps

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    bump for some more opinions.
  11. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing Herd Protection SDN Advisor

Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    I think you're good to go, though some exposure to sicker US patients than found in an eye clinic would be nice to see. If you could get in two-three months of volunteering with acutely ill or injured patients before you apply and continue through the application season (letting schools know about ongoing involvement through update letters), I think you'll have satisfied the most stringent expectations. Consider looking not just at hospitals, but also clinics (private, free-, low-income, VA, family planning, etc), skilled-level nursing homes, and rehab centers, depending on what is nearby.

Do you have an upward grade trend in the sciences? Any upper-level Bio or Biochem yet?

What kind of X-Rays are taken in an eye clinic?
  12. angldrps

angldrps

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yes i do have an upward trend in grades. I had on accident typed the xray detail next to the wrong activity...edited now. i am going to start volunteering in a nearby clinic which will give me 2 months until i submit my application and will continue to volunteer during app. season.
  13. Catalystik

What kind of clinic?
  14. angldrps

angldrps

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    sorry for not replying sooner. i have been researching the best opportunities for me to gain clinical experience. i am going to apply to be a scribe, which will provide me with more patient contact than volunteering in a hospital/clinic would.

my only concern is that the application process for a scribe position is longer than applying to be a volunteer at a hospital, however, by the time interviews come in, i should be already working as a scribe.

Can you please give me your input on this.
  15. Catalystik

A scribe position is an excellent source of clinical experience, which most would feel also includes a shadowing component.

How competitive is the position? Are you likely to get it, and what factors determine who is picked?
  16. angldrps

angldrps

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have inquired about the competitive level of the position and have not been give a straight answer- just kept getting told to submit an application. I have a friend who is a scribe for the company I am applying for who told me that they are most interested in accepting those who can make themselves available for the rigorous working hours/schedule.Since I have already graduated and not working any place else else, I will be able to satisfy the demand to work long hours.
  17. Catalystik

Since it takes awhile to get trained, they often require a 1-2 year commitment to contue with the position. You might get a heads up from your friend about that, too.
  18. md2be89

md2be89 To infinity, and beyond!

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'm a scribe, actually I'm at work right now. It's a great experience and strongly recommend anyone who is given the chance to do it. However, I applied in like November of 2009, interviewed in January 2010 and didn't start training until June of 2010 and have been a scribe since. I say you just apply. Your stats are great and you're a well rounded candidate. Maybe volunteer in a nursing home or something that would require less time while you apply. I don't see any reason not to apply - go for it!