should i take a gap year or apply. Please Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angldrps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Here are my stats:i recently (1/28/2012) took my mcat retake after scoring only a 22 the first time. My new score is a 32 (i still can't believe it!). I calculated my gpa using the calculator posted on SDN and found that my overall gpa= 3.2 and science gpa= 3.2.
Below are my extracurricular activities:

-2 years of nonclinical research with a pending publication
-over 50 hours of shadowing an MD, a D.O., a PA
-4 years as a volunteer in the eye clinic of my school's student health center (took appointments, assisted patients with selecting contact lenses and glasses, took patient x-rays)
-spent 2 summers volunteering in a hospital in a developing country (loads of patient contact)
-worked full time in a sporting goods store for 4 years
-started a small business with my own employees ((Would this count as leadership experience ??))
-volunteer tutor for 3 years
-part of fundraising committee of an organization that mentors high school students
-I already have a recommendation letter from the D.O i shadowed and will be able to get one from an M.D.

I feel like I am lacking in clinical experience so maybe i should take a gap year and get a job in a hospital setting.

Below are my questions:
- Do you think i should give applying in the upcoming cycle a shot or wait until next cycle?
-If i do take a gap year and apply in the 2013 cycle, would i still have a chance to reapply in the following year without my mcat score expiring?

I think you have plenty of clinical experience. Your ECs look very well-rounded and great! Yes, starting a small business would be leadership, for sure. Your MCAT is fantastic, and will make up for your lower GPA.

I don't think you should take a gap year. You seem to have everything ready to go already, including LORs. Why wait? :)

Gogogo!

Agreed. You have a great shot :)
Don't put it off unless there is something else you really want to do before you go to med school (keep in mind, you can always work in a clinical setting during the year you are applying).

Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar MCAT, similar GPA, and although it's hard to compare EC's you prob have me beat there. I got waitlisted at a few MD programs but accepted at the only osteopathic school I applied to and never looked back. I see no reason not to go for it this year.

Agreed. You have a great shot :)
Don't put it off unless there is something else you really want to do before you go to med school (keep in mind, you can always work in a clinical setting during the year you are applying).

there really isn't anything else i want to do. i graduated in june and spent all my time until January to study for the mcat. i knew with a 22 no school would even consider me. now, all i want to do is fulfill my dream of becoming a D.O. hopefully, at least one school will consider me good enough and give me a chance.

there really isn't anything else i want to do. i graduated in june and spent all my time until January to study for the mcat. i knew with a 22 no school would even consider me. now, all i want to do is fulfill my dream of becoming a D.O. hopefully, at least one school will consider me good enough and give me a chance.

I think you'll have no problem getting interviews as long as you raise that MCAT to about a 27-28.

Oh, and apply EARLY. This really matters a lot more than people think (of course, there are the exceptions... but don't risk it).

I think you'll have no problem getting interviews as long as you raise that MCAT to about a 27-28.

Oh, and apply EARLY. This really matters a lot more than people think (of course, there are the exceptions... but don't risk it).

^^ :thumbup::thumbup:

Hey guys,
Note: i am only interested in applying to osteopathic medical schools.
Here are my stats:i recently (1/28/2012) took my mcat retake after scoring only a 22 the first time. My new score is a 32 (i still can't believe it!). I calculated my gpa using the calculator posted on SDN and found that my overall gpa= 3.2 and science gpa= 3.2.
Below are my extracurricular activities:

-2 years of nonclinical research with a pending publication
-over 50 hours of shadowing an MD, a D.O., a PA
-4 years as a volunteer in the eye clinic of my school's student health center (took appointments, assisted patients with selecting contact lenses and glasses, took patient x-rays)
-spent 2 summers volunteering in a hospital in a developing country (loads of patient contact)
-worked full time in a sporting goods store for 4 years
-started a small business with my own employees ((Would this count as leadership experience ??))
-volunteer tutor for 3 years
-part of fundraising committee of an organization that mentors high school students
-I already have a recommendation letter from the D.O i shadowed and will be able to get one from an M.D.

I feel like I am lacking in clinical experience so maybe i should take a gap year and get a job in a hospital setting.

Below are my questions:
- Do you think i should give applying in the upcoming cycle a shot or wait until next cycle?
-If i do take a gap year and apply in the 2013 cycle, would i still have a chance to reapply in the following year without my mcat score expiring?
I think you're good to go, though some exposure to sicker US patients than found in an eye clinic would be nice to see. If you could get in two-three months of volunteering with acutely ill or injured patients before you apply and continue through the application season (letting schools know about ongoing involvement through update letters), I think you'll have satisfied the most stringent expectations. Consider looking not just at hospitals, but also clinics (private, free-, low-income, VA, family planning, etc), skilled-level nursing homes, and rehab centers, depending on what is nearby.

Do you have an upward grade trend in the sciences? Any upper-level Bio or Biochem yet?

What kind of X-Rays are taken in an eye clinic?

I think you're good to go, though some exposure to sicker US patients than found in an eye clinic would be nice to see. If you could get in two-three months of volunteering with acutely ill or injured patients before you apply and continue through the application season (letting schools know about ongoing involvement through update letters), I think you'll have satisfied the most stringent expectations. Consider looking not just at hospitals, but also clinics (private, free-, low-income, VA, family planning, etc), skilled-level nursing homes, and rehab centers, depending on what is nearby.

Do you have an upward grade trend in the sciences? Any upper-level Bio or Biochem yet?

What kind of X-Rays are taken in an eye clinic?

yes i do have an upward trend in grades. I had on accident typed the xray detail next to the wrong activity...edited now. i am going to start volunteering in a nearby clinic which will give me 2 months until i submit my application and will continue to volunteer during app. season.

What kind of clinic?

sorry for not replying sooner. i have been researching the best opportunities for me to gain clinical experience. i am going to apply to be a scribe, which will provide me with more patient contact than volunteering in a hospital/clinic would.

my only concern is that the application process for a scribe position is longer than applying to be a volunteer at a hospital, however, by the time interviews come in, i should be already working as a scribe.

Can you please give me your input on this.

i am going to apply to be a scribe, which will provide me with more patient contact than volunteering in a hospital/clinic would.

my only concern is that the application process for a scribe position is longer than applying to be a volunteer at a hospital, however, by the time interviews come in, i should be already working as a scribe. .
A scribe position is an excellent source of clinical experience, which most would feel also includes a shadowing component.

How competitive is the position? Are you likely to get it, and what factors determine who is picked?

A scribe position is an excellent source of clinical experience, which most would feel also includes a shadowing component.

How competitive is the position? Are you likely to get it, and what factors determine who is picked?

I have inquired about the competitive level of the position and have not been give a straight answer- just kept getting told to submit an application. I have a friend who is a scribe for the company I am applying for who told me that they are most interested in accepting those who can make themselves available for the rigorous working hours/schedule.Since I have already graduated and not working any place else else, I will be able to satisfy the demand to work long hours.

sorry for not replying sooner. i have been researching the best opportunities for me to gain clinical experience. i am going to apply to be a scribe, which will provide me with more patient contact than volunteering in a hospital/clinic would.

my only concern is that the application process for a scribe position is longer than applying to be a volunteer at a hospital, however, by the time interviews come in, i should be already working as a scribe.

Can you please give me your input on this.

I'm a scribe, actually I'm at work right now. It's a great experience and strongly recommend anyone who is given the chance to do it. However, I applied in like November of 2009, interviewed in January 2010 and didn't start training until June of 2010 and have been a scribe since. I say you just apply. Your stats are great and you're a well rounded candidate. Maybe volunteer in a nursing home or something that would require less time while you apply. I don't see any reason not to apply - go for it!