Should I Take a Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycdreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently going into my junior year with a 3.49 cumulative GPA and a 3.2 BCPM. After Freshman year, my GPA was a 3.83 and fell. I have gotten 1 C in Organic Chem I but then received a B in Orgo II. I have not taken the MCAT but will take the 2015 version. I have 150 hours volunteering at the ER so far, starting from freshman year and will continue to do so until senior year. I have been working at a lab at a prestigious medical school since the summer of freshman year and will be published as a co-author soon. I will continue to do research until senior year as well. Summer between freshman year and sophomore year, I shadowed an orthopedic surgeon. I am the founder/president of a chapter of a non-profit organization (aimed at increasing literacy rates in developing countries by sending students to them to help construct elementary schools) at my university and have been working with the non-profit organization since high school. I went to one of these countries the summer before college and plan on going again soon. I also work with the Health Center at the university as a leader, and hope to become an RA next year. Besides these EC's, I take part in other clubs. Although difficult, I will strive to get 4.0's throughout and if I do, I calculated the highest BCPM I can get after junior year would be a 3.52 and the highest overall GPA would be 3.69. I would have strong recommendations from a few professors, lab supervisor, nurse at the ER, etc. Should I apply after junior year or take a gap year if I am aiming to get into a medical school (not top ones)? I am planning on taking Biochem and Bio together this year; if I take a gap year, I would take Bio before Biochem although I took AP Bio 3 years ago in high school. Also, I am a resident of NY and NOT a URM. Thanks in advance =)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently going into my junior year with a 3.49 cumulative GPA and a 3.2 BCPM. After Freshman year, my GPA was a 3.83 and fell. I have gotten 1 C in Organic Chem I but then received a B in Orgo II. I have not taken the MCAT but will take the 2015 version. I have 150 hours volunteering at the ER so far, starting from freshman year and will continue to do so until senior year. I have been working at a lab at a prestigious medical school since the summer of freshman year and will be published as a co-author soon. I will continue to do research until senior year as well. Summer between freshman year and sophomore year, I shadowed an orthopedic surgeon. I am the founder/president of a chapter of a non-profit organization (aimed at increasing literacy rates in developing countries by sending students to them to help construct elementary schools) at my university and have been working with the non-profit organization since high school. I went to one of these countries the summer before college and plan on going again soon. I also work with the Health Center at the university as a leader, and hope to become an RA next year. Besides these EC's, I take part in other clubs. Although difficult, I will strive to get 4.0's throughout and if I do, I calculated the highest BCPM I can get after junior year would be a 3.52 and the highest overall GPA would be 3.69. I would have strong recommendations from a few professors, lab supervisor, nurse at the ER, etc. Should I apply after junior year or take a gap year if I am aiming to get into a medical school (not top ones)? I am planning on taking Biochem and Bio together this year; if I take a gap year, I would take Bio before Biochem although I took AP Bio 3 years ago in high school. Also, I am a resident of NY and NOT a URM. Thanks in advance =)

A 3.69 cGPA/ 3.52 sGPA are all pretty solid numbers. If you can supplement it with a 30+ MCAT, you should be fine. Your ECs are also solid as well.

I see no problem in applying right after junior year if you can get straight 4.0.

The issue is, classes do not get easier over time. And you have to assess whether you can realistically accomplish that goal.

Now, obviously you will be a stronger applicant for MD schools if you scored well on your MCAT to supplement for an average GPA. You wouldn't have issues as an applicant for a DO school so far as GPA is concerned.

Conclusion:
Just get your GPA up, start studying for MCAT, and delay/proceed with plan later. You have options, and still have a decent chance at getting into a medical school.

*I had the same rut sophomore year and decided not to apply for that following reason... I applied a year later right after graduation (which I think you're in the situation since you mentioned a gap year). In my gap year, I'm just continuing to do what the ECs I've been doing previously. So this may be my source of bias.

Thanks for the advice @Holmwood. Right, the MCAT scoring system is changing but hopefully I can get what an equivalent of 30+ would be in the old system. Maybe I should go with what I have now and see if I would like to take a gap year after 1 semester. I'm bumping to see if anyone has more advice. Thanks

My honest advice? Drop some of you EC's. You've already got enough and it looks like you would benefit more from a higher GPA. I would suggest NOT being an RA unless you need the money and study your a** off. There's no shortcut and if you want 4.0 you could definitely get there, but it's going to take a TON of time and effort in all of your courses, everyday

Reactions: 1 user