Should I take a Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted671237

Hey,

Just wanted to get your advice regarding if I should take a gap year or not. I am currently a junior in undergrad. I have decent ECs, but feel a year of beefing up my volunteering and research will be very helpful in applying.

There are 2 concerns I have with taking a gap year, however:
1.) However, most applicants for the 2017 matriculating class will probably have the new MCAT. Will schools either not accept or not take the old MCAT as seriously if I apply next year?
2.) Med Schools get more competitive every year, will one more year make it that much tougher to get in?

Are these legit concerns?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what my pre-med advising office has told me, I don't think there would be a problem applying next year with the old MCAT. The fear once was that old MCAT would not be accepted anymore so people who took it their sophomore years would be screwed over but I don't think that fear has materialized - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, many applicants nowadays, including me, are taking a year off to strengthen applications to med school or because, in my case, there is simply too much to do this year to worry about writing essays and all! You want to apply when your application is strongest, whenever that may be for you. But many med schools are getting applications now from people who have taken gap year(s) and if you've done something meaningful during those years and still show that commitment towards medicine, it could give you a leg up on people coming straight out of undergrad. You're also being compared to people who have done a lot during their gap years if you apply straight out of undergrad. That's just what my advisers have told me, so take it at face value.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No do not take a gap year. Volunteer starting this summer until you graduate from college. Research is not that important

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No do not take a gap year. Volunteer starting this summer until you graduate from college. Research is not that important
+1

only on sdn would someone consider taking a gap year to beef up their 33 mcat/3.9 gpa/"decent ECs" application. smh

+1

only on sdn would someone consider taking a gap year to beef up their 33 mcat/3.9 gpa/"decent ECs" application. smh

My stats aren't even that good for this site haha, but I might have missed out on a committee letter from my school. It would look really bad if all the other applicants got a committee letter and I didn't...

My stats aren't even that good for this site haha, but I might have missed out on a committee letter from my school. It would look really bad if all the other applicants got a committee letter and I didn't...

You're in the 90th percentile for MCAT and probably the 90th percentile for GPA. Apply. Get in one year earlier. Don't miss out on 200K of earnings just because you want to have an amazing application.

I feel ya, though. We're all neurotic.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have any volunteering or research at all?

the committee letter is actually kind of a big deal...not having it when your school offers it might be seen as a red flag. if you can't get the committee letter, you better be able to get some VERY solid individual letters from your professors

why did you miss out on the committee letter?

Is your name "Itsneverlupus" a House reference?

OP: Do not take a gap year. If you want to you could volunteer a bit more but you don't need a whole year to buffer what you've already got.

Yes, my name is a House reference.

At my school for a committee letter, you need all kinds of documents for them to interview you. I gave all my stuff in, but you also need 1 teacher Rec for the Committee before they meet with you. I asked mine a month ago, but he missed the deadline…I heard they're flexible since it's not on me, but I have yet to get a finite answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
At my school for a committee letter, you need all kinds of documents for them to interview you. I gave all my stuff in, but you also need 1 teacher Rec for the Committee before they meet with you. I asked mine a month ago, but he missed the deadline…I heard they're flexible since it's not on me, but I have yet to get a finite answer.
hmm yeah, thats not really your fault, so even if adcoms/interviewers were to ask about it, you would have a perfectly valid reason for why you couldn't get the letter

having said that, i still hope you're able to get the committee letter, just b/c its much less a pain in the ass than running around trying to secure individual letters from a bunch of professors. worst case, though, just make sure you have several professors in mind from whom you can get strong recommendations

otherwise, your application's great man. very well balanced. don't sweat not having research--its honestly not that big a deal

Reactions: 1 users
I feel mixed about this.

OP: You could very easily apply now, and you would probably get in somewhere. I feel like especially without the committee letter in hand, I would wait personally.

So here's how I see the pros and cons:

Pros:
1)You (probably) get to medical school sooner. This translates to finishing residency earlier and making an extra year of salary
2) You don't have to really worry about Spring Semester grades as much.

Cons:
1) You will be a less competitive applicant, especially for research oriented schools
2) If you get interviews, you will have to fit them in during school, and this often diminishes the senior year experience

Pro/con:
You get a gap year after, which means a lot of free time. This is a pro for me, but I don't know how you feel about it.

So really, it depends on which resonates with you more.

It's not an either or situation, you can have your senior year experience and then get interviews (probably more of them) the next year.

I would say you could apply in good conscience, but should you? That's up to you. Since it sounds like you want to, go for it!