Should I take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyu127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's a personal choice. Your grades look great just do good on the test.

I'm glad I took a gap year. I was still working/researching/studying for DAT and keeping myself busy but it was still a nice break from school. You should enjoy life while you're still young, so if you're not in a rush you should go for it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in my gap year and I think it was the best decision I could have made! I've been able to work full time and save money, while also having the flexibility to do a little traveling. The whole application process itself is also incredibly time consuming--you're applying to schools, possibly filling out supplemental applications, and going to interviews (which sometimes means flying across the country). I was happy to not have to try to schedule applying to schools or interviewing around my exam schedule and school commitments.

I'd say ask yourself if you'd rather get out of dental school a year earlier by applying this summer or if you'd rather take time off to study longer for the DAT (and maybe relax a little before dental school) and apply next year. Make the right decision for yourself! Good luck :)

Gap years are great and during my student interviews I was actually complemented and told its one of the best things you can do for yourself as well as those who take gap years have an easier time starting back than the students who go straight from undergrad to dental school. My gap year was packed with me shadowing, working, studying and taking the DAT then I went straight into interviews. I'm glad I have had this time off before I start in August.