Should I take a medical leave of absence during first year? Stroke-like Seizures/Migraines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gssilver

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I know someone posted something similar to this recently, but I feel like my situation is a bit different. Also I'm just really confused and I could really use the help. Sorry for the length it's just a long story. In little over 2 months I have gone to ER several times for the same thing migraines and/or seizures that resulted in stroke-like symptoms.

The deans at my medical school became aware of this after the third ER visit, because I delayed an exam. They are also aware because they are the only reason I received a neurology appointment within the week of my last ER visit instead of the December, even though I was discharged under the premise I would see neurology in clinic within the week since they were unsure what it was.

Unfortunately, the story doesn’t end there. I have received nothing but bad care since I’ve moved here for medical school. It’s probably because I have only ever up until now seen an attending for more than five minutes twice, and the residents don’t know what they are doing. To give you some examples, one resident misread my chart and was getting extremely frustrated at why as was in the ER, another resident didn’t know all the pupil exam and then dilated me, another one botched my history so bad in the five minute wait to talk to the attending my friend and I started laughing, and another resident took 6 hours to see me in the ER to later disappear for a hour (even the nurse and attending couldn’t find him). The attendings weren’t any better.

At this point I had found potential triggers, so at least the visual symptoms were improving. I was put on medication by the neurologist the dean got me, and was told to call if I had any problems with the medication. I had a lot of side effects with that medication. I eventually stopped taking the medication after consulting with a pharmacist after 4 days due to it worsening my migraines and all the side effects went away two days later. I did try to reach the doctor I called 3 times in 2 days and the staff said the attending would call back after the first day but he never did. I did come in the next day to inform the doctor’s office as a courtesy to state that I had stopped my medication and the reasons for it. I also asked for a note for school, since I was not medicated. The doctor seemed really annoyed giving me the note, even though it was the most generic two sentences, and proceeded to give me a follow-up appointment in three months with no medication at all.

It was during this time that I contacted my PCP in my home state, my dad, and other hospitals in the area to see if they could get me an appointment with neurologist there, but unfortunately none of those were able to give me an appointment before January or the hospital felt uncomfortable seeing me due to the complex nature of my case. Therefore, in terms of continue of care and being seen first getting care here seems to make the most sense.

I did have an appointment with that attending a week later, because I had an another episode. As a result, I am being put on a drug that works as both a seizures and migraines. The medication appears to be improving things for now, but I just don’t trust the doctors here. The deans know of the situation and have recommended a leave of absence, but the thing is that I can’t get an appointment earlier than January wherever I go.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: