Should I take lower division ugrad courses to boost GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bouddha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation. I have a 2.98 (Texas), 2.93 (AMCAS) GPA. I am taking 13-19 hours this Spring leading into graduation. Would it be a terrible idea to take a couple of lower division ugrad courses online over the next 2 months to boost my GPA (talking like Anthropology 301 and Sociology 301).

The reason I ask is doing an SMP is out (I have to make money to support my family, unless in medical school, at least that's the deal with my wife). So I am planning on doing research starting this summer while I reapply, however, if I take an additional 6 hours online between now and may, I can potentially boost my AMCAS GPA to a 3.007 and my TMDSAS GPA to a 3.05 before I graduate.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Beware of taking online courses. They may not be acceptable at some schools. It is then best to take classes at a community/junior college. But in any case, I don't think taking anthropology and sociology will be a good idea. Yes; your overall gpa will go up and it will help, but your science gpa won't. At times, science gpa is looked closely by schools because the gpa represents how well you have done completing the pre-reqs. So I would suggest you to take biological science or physical science classes.

Beware of taking online courses. They may not be acceptable at some schools. It is then best to take classes at a community/junior college. But in any case, I don't think taking anthropology and sociology will be a good idea. Yes; your overall gpa will go up and it will help, but your science gpa won't. At times, science gpa is looked closely by schools because the gpa represents how well you have done completing the pre-reqs. So I would suggest you to take biological science or physical science classes.

So even if I'm already taking 13 ud bio credits, and the online courses are reported on my university transcript because they are done through my university, you wouldn't do them in addition to my regular coursework. btw, my science gpa is higher, at about 3.15.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't know that you were taking the online courses through your university and they will be reported in your undergrad transcript. In that case, I would recommend you to take them :D Btw your science gpa is good. Hopefully you can continue to raise it up :) Good luck!!!

Yes; your overall gpa will go up and it will help, but your science gpa won't. At times, science gpa is looked closely by schools because the gpa represents how well you have done completing the pre-reqs. So I would suggest you to take biological science or physical science classes.

Agreed. The idea is great, but anthro and soc might not be the best choice.

My pre-med advisor told me that it's the undergrad BCPM gpa and specifically your grades in the pre-req classes that most schools look at with the most scrutiny.