Should I take OAT end of March instead of end of feb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaykee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
It is my first time taking an OAT for this cycle to apply and I am pretty nervous and feel like
I am not ready for taking OAT on feb. I planned to take it end of Feb due to some schools with deadline on 3/1.(SCO, SUNY etc.) But since I am not ready, I am thinking to postpone to take at the end of March instead and forget about SCO and SUNY schools. I rather take it later and do well on OAT to apply other schools with late deadlines...What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends, since when have you been studying for it and what schools are you applying to? And have you submitted your optomcas app yet? Cause the end of March is pretty late, most seats might be filled up, but I think if you've submitted your general app already schools can always get your OAT scores afterwards in which case March may not be too late for the OAT but call the schools to make sure.

Reactions: 1 user
It def depends where you want to go. Are you looking for cheap tuition, a great top notch program (which SUNY and SCO are pretty darn highly regarded), something local, or just to get into any school?

It sounds to me like you'd be better off taking it in like April and apply to the schools you REALLY want to look at in August and have first crack at the cycle. If you don't do well, you can retake it 3 months after and still be right around the start of the new cycle. You can get a ton more shadowing hours and such too. Applying mid March is getting pretty late honestly. If you didn't apply to anything yet through OptomCAS then you wouldn't have to even worry about a round 2. I waited an extra cycle since my stats were OKAY and I was still in school, and got accepted into a couple schools and 5 interviews, which I am still doing. Just my opinion!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty much done with my applications. I have all 3 recommendations, submitted transcript, done with my essay too.
Only thing left is to answer several questions to certain schools for supp. app.
I really do not have any preference for school choices, since it's end of cycle, I am going to apply as many as I can. My plan is to submit everything by end of Feb and take OAT in March. sounds good?
BTW, I majored Pharm tox B.S with 3.1 GPA and for studying OAT, I have physics & organic chemistry left to study which is a humongous topic to cover for me.

That's def going to be tough being in school studying for the OAT and then with physics AND organic, but it does in fact go with the OAT so it could be a good thing. Apply to a bunch of schools and take the OAT in March. It will still be harder to get in.

Best case scenario-You get some interview invites even though its late in the cycle, and hey maybe get in!
Worst case scenario-You just re-apply in August and use your same application and renew it to save you time and work, and you get first grabs at seats.

Good luck!!

Thanks for your advice! I am done with undergrad. Currently working at an optometrist's private practice now.
I work as a full time so I split my free time to study. I just want to hear from ppl who applied late and got interviews later.

Ive def heard of and seen people apply in Jan/Feb who got in if that helps! Good luck!

Just remember if you are going to apply next cycle that Optomcas will delete your application come July, so be sure you save the information elsewhere.