Should i take some cc courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstead245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college and have been taking a gap year, mainly to take a break figure out what I want and whats the next course of action for me. So I have taken a bit of a break and deciding if I should take some cc courses in bio, mainly for fun or any other classes to boost my gpa and mainly to jump start my academic mindset. Right now I am beginning to study for mcat. I work very little so now its time to improve my life. Wondering if these are good ideas on what I am doing or is it just a waste of time? My gpa isn't exactly stellar, which is part of the reason I took a gap year and figure out what I want to do...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's your gpa? Have you done any shadowing or volunteering?

If you feel your GPA is not stellar, taking some courses may not be a bad idea. If possible, I'd say take science courses so you can have a shot at boosting both your cGPA and sGPA.

On the other hand, if you are getting ready to take the MCAT (especially since it is about to change in a couple months) the best idea may be to hit the books hard for it and knock it out of the park. Most schools will hold MCATs valid for at least 2 years. After you get a score you like and if you are still taking time off at that point, then add in the courses.

Like @dmshain said, if you haven't done any shadowing or volunteering now is a great time to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel your GPA is not stellar, taking some courses may not be a bad idea. If possible, I'd say take science courses so you can have a shot at boosting both your cGPA and sGPA.

On the other hand, if you are getting ready to take the MCAT (especially since it is about to change in a couple months) the best idea may be to hit the books hard for it and knock it out of the park. Most schools will hold MCATs valid for at least 2 years. After you get a score you like and if you are still taking time off at that point, then add in the courses.

Like @dmshain said, if you haven't done any shadowing or volunteering now is a great time to do so.

Yeah I agree with the advice about the MCAT, I would not wanna be among the first group to take that when it's gonna be hard finding the proper study materials to study for biochem, psy, sociology, etc...So do your best to get the MCAT out of the way before the new mcat creeps in, and then you can improve your gpas via CC courses and all.

Best of luck!

if the mcat is changing why not take the dat.i was considering dentistry as well. i shall begin shadowing soon, one major thing that scares me about pod iis the residency and the attrition rates. i dont think i would like to do surgery alot, plus tje amount of hours u work and how much u get laid is very minimal. that is one thing that scares me atm

1) Residency genesis is in progress, and I really don't see a shortage in 4 years.
2) Attrition rates are a result of students either realizing podiatry isn't for them or of students thinking they can get by without working hard. I've finished my first 2 years, and I can tell you, while getting A's in some classes are tremendously difficult, all the classes are passable. You just have to put in effort.
3) The 3 year surgical residencies are highly variable in OR numbers.
4) I hope you mean paid. There's no such thing as a job in science that pays well and requires minimal work and effort.

Reactions: 1 user
what do u mean 3 year surgical residency is variable in or numbers? my bad typing on phone haha, yeah but i heard in residency its like 80 hours a week for 40k for ex, u can opt to choose whether or not u want to do surgery post residency correct?