Should I take Step 2 CK now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sswang00

MS4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student of an American medical school that just finished year 2.
Due to a shoulder injury and surgery, I could not start my clinical rotations.

I just finished step 1 one month ago and am taking one year off.
Do you guys think I should study for and take the Step 2 CK?

I scored 242 in Step 1 and have free time to study for Step 2 CK
but I have not yet done clinical rotations

-Will I be at an advantage because Step 1 material is fresh in my head?
-or Will I be at a disadvantage because I did not do my rotations yet?

Part of me just wants to take it and get it over with

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's a dangerous proposition.

The reason I did well on Step 2 CK (a significant improvement over my step 1 score) was because I spent the year studying for shelf exams.

Step 1 material helps a little bit, but the material for step 2 is that, plus application, plus some new stuff. It also helps to see some of it in clinic.

I don't think taking it now will help you very much, and you're more likely to get a better score if you take it after your 3rd year clerkships.

I think you really need your clerkships to do well on CK. I know that between studying for the shelf exams and then just the knowledge I picked up doing rotations has made studying for this exam so much easier. I have only found Step 1 information useful as far as just having a good base for knowing the pathophys...but, that usually won't answer the question. It would be a shame for you to take it too soon and not do as well on CK as you did on Step 1.

This is like asking if you should take Step 1 the summer before you start MS1 because you "have time". It's a terrible idea. There is no way you can possibly learn all of the things on CK from FA and associated books. There are plenty of question answers where you'll be like "oh, yeah, I think some attending said that once".

Members don't see this ad :)

i do agree with the above that clerkship years are helpful, however if you have a whole year free, i think you can absolutely study for it on your own and do well. If you went through usmle world, a study guide book, heck maybe even kaplan qbank, you will be more than ready. imo

Uhm...I think part of why people do better on Step 2 than Step 1, on average, is that when you've seen something, it's easier to remember everything thats goes with it. I certainly wouldn't take it. Plus, I think your school will have to authorize it, and I know ours requires all 3rd year cores to be completed.

This is like asking if you should take Step 1 the summer before you start MS1 because you "have time". It's a terrible idea. There is no way you can possibly learn all of the things on CK from FA and associated books. There are plenty of question answers where you'll be like "oh, yeah, I think some attending said that once".

Yeah this. The easiest questions are the ones about patients you have seen directly in clinic.

Its applied knowledge. It would be pretty hard to have a lot of applied knowledge if you had never been in the wards.

Just in case others didn't say it loud enough:

No, don't take it now!!!

You're welcome. :D

if you have time off:

study for CK, but don't take it.

when your rotations start you'll be miles ahead on knowledge and shelfs, your rotations will continue to build on that, and by the time you finish rotations you gonna rock CK.

How about this im a Carribean student. The only way i can have CK done when applications are due for residency is to take CK without having done Psych and OB/gyn. Can take 4 weeks to study for CK. Opinions please

How about this im a Carribean student. The only way i can have CK done when applications are due for residency is to take CK without having done Psych and OB/gyn. Can take 4 weeks to study for CK. Opinions please

if your step1 is low and you think u will do better on ck, take it early enough to have your score back when you send in your ERAS application.

if your step1 is high, u can wait til after your core rotations.

if your step1 is low and you think u will do better on ck, take it early enough to have your score back when you send in your ERAS application.

if your step1 is high, u can wait til after your core rotations.

Step 1 score was 226. As a Carribbean student its very hard to get interviews without both Step1 and 2CK done. How much of a problem would it be to take CK without having done OB and Psych cores.

To the OP -

sorry to hear about your shoulder. During your time off, do some research or write a review paper/case report or something that you can put on your application for residency. Or relax and catch up on this season of Real Housewives of Atlanta. It's whatev.

Seriously, though, I'd try to get involved in something. (I am assuming you'll be out of clinics for several months?) It doesn't have to be a publication, but do something your interested in with tangible results. Learn Spanish. Write a grant. Help plan a community health day.

Step 1 score was 226. As a Carribbean student its very hard to get interviews without both Step1 and 2CK done. How much of a problem would it be to take CK without having done OB and Psych cores.

It will be a little less than ideal, but the VAST majority of questions on step 2 are medicine. You might have to go through OB case files to get some of the background stuff, and then whenever you have a qbank question on OB/GYN just make sure to take the time to read the response thoroughly to learn more of the background. I think you can do well without having an OB rotation.

Regarding psych, I don't think that rotation helped me at all. The shelf was horrible and I didn't learn anything from taking it. So, I think it will be ok.

One thing that no one mentioned is that if you take step 2 now, it will automatically be sent to all the programs as soon as you submit your app. So, if you do poorly, or even fail, programs will see that. Step 2 is a lot less important (and difficult) than step 1, but it's still an 8 hr beast of an exam... do not underestimate it!

Shouldn't you hear about your CK result within 3-4 weeks as step 1? So why the worry about not making it on time for ERAS? Please correct me if I am wrong.

OP TAKE IT IF YOU'RE READY

Which I would honestly think you should be at some point during your FULL YEAR off.

Clerkships are helpful for retention, but are not necessary for this exam. You can do well on CK without seeing a single patient. In fact, for CK prep, arguably the most valuable part of the clerkship is studying for the NBME shelf.

But I digress, how do you know if YOU will need the clerkships? Simple: Study for CK. Run through UW. Take a practice exam. If you do well, take it. If you bomb the practice exam, who cares, at least now you have a solid base to hit the ground running and impress your attendings with during 3rd year, so it wasn't all for nothing.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let your medical knowledge ROT for a year before your MOST IMPORTANT YEAR of medical school!

Good luck, OP