Should I take Step 3 this fall before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an R2 at a mid tier midwestern university medicine program. I'm applying to GI this year, have done some research, presenting 2 posters (at acg and aasld) this fall, maybe 1 or 2 publications by the spring, average Step 1, slightly above average Step 2 scores. My program requires us to take Step 3 before we finish second year. My call months are clustered over the winter months, so I can take Step 3 at the end of November (after 1 wk vacation, 2 wks on busy consult svc) or in the spring in March or April when I will hopefully have a little more time to study on elective months (but will also be busy with interviewing??) I expect my score will probably be about the same as Step 1/2 esp if I take it in the fall when I wont' have much study time.

Will programs looks unfavorably on me for not having yet taken Step 3 when they download my application in December and when handing out interviews? Also, how many interviews can I expect to get?? Thanks to anyone who wants to weigh in!

Members don't see this ad.