Should I take Step3 before my intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have run into a few programs which require their residents to take step3 before going on to pgy-2 i.e. sometime during their intern year. Do you guys think that I can take step3 before starting my internship and still do well on it or do I really need to learn patient management (which I would learn as an intern) to do well on step3. By doing well I mean a two digit score of 95 or higher.

the reasons I want to take step3 early is #1) I am going to have a few free months before starting my internship. #2) I might need to reapply for the 2011 match because I am applying for a competitive specialty and will then rank prelim medicine and TY years after that specialty so I might end up matching just into a prelim program. #3) i want to enjoy my vacation time during my internship and not have to spend it studying for Step3. #4) I might not have enough time to study for step3 because I'll need to impress my attendings and read a lot during my internship because I might have to reapply next year.

So my thoughts were to get this test out of the way especially since I have a month or two free before starting my internship.

If you guys think that doing your internship before step3 will greatly ease the study burden for the exam because many of the management questions that they ask on the exam will be common knowledge to me then I'll wait to take step3. However, if all I really need to do is read through First Aid, Crush Step3 and maybe the Kaplan books and do USMLE World questions to do well on this exam then I might as well take it early and enjoy my intern year as much as I can.

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

RussianJoo: Do you recommend taking the 3rd exam before residency starts? (looking back, answering your own question)