Should I take the MCAT if I'm in an accelerated program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrian14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I'm in an accelerated program, I don't actually have to take the MCAT. I'm just worried that they might ask for my score for residencies and other related things. I just don't know if I'm ever going to run into a situation where it is needed and I don't have it. It's not that I really don't want to take the test, it's just that I don't know if I'm going to be able to take psychology and sociology. I'm a bioinformatics major with very little wiggle room in my schedule. If I do take it, I would have to take it my senior year. Do I need it though?

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT does not matter (really) beyond admissions to medical school. I assume by "accelerated program" that you have a guaranteed admission -- with some grade requirements-- to your medical school following undergrad? I wouldn't take the MCAT in your place unless you feel like a) you're on the cusp of loosing your guaranteed spot or b) you want to apply elsewhere.