Should I take this research opportunity or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LebLlama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying June 2012 for 2013 admissions. I'm looking to improve my application. I think its somewhat solid now, though I want to be sure.

I have an opportunity to help out with a research project. I know it will help my application, but I've been involved with 2 research projects in the past, not sure if adding another one would increase my appeal anymore. Also, they were both in 2010. Does it matter if I wont have any current research on my application?

Also: I work almost full-time and need my extra time to study for the MCAT in April. I'm worried if I committ to too many projects I won't study as much and wont score well and wont get in anywhere.

I'm also a volunteer at a hospice and have since 2010 as well. Should I just stick to hospice volunteering and forget about the research? Which is more important?

Really appreciate your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you WANT to do it? If you want to do it, then do it. If you're comfortable with your current level of research experience, then I would save myself the time and use it for something else I'd rather do.

As far as which activity is "more important," again, only you can decide that since only you know your application. Do you feel comfortable with your research experience? What about your clinical experience? If you answer no to either of those, you should probably continue the respective activities so that you continue to build up your experience.

There's no hard-line cutoff that says when you have "enough" experience in a particular activity. It's all about how you explain the activity and what it means to you.

Are you going to be doing anything significant? Is there a chance you could get published? You've already worked on 2 projects, it doesn't seem to me that you need to do any more grunt work. It sounds like you've made up your mind, regarding the need to study for the MCAT (which is true)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying June 2012 for 2013 admissions. I'm looking to improve my application. I think its somewhat solid now, though I want to be sure.

I have an opportunity to help out with a research project. I know it will help my application, but I've been involved with 2 research projects in the past, not sure if adding another one would increase my appeal anymore. Also, they were both in 2010. Does it matter if I wont have any current research on my application?

Also: I work almost full-time and need my extra time to study for the MCAT in April. I'm worried if I committ to too many projects I won't study as much and wont score well and wont get in anywhere.

I'm also a volunteer at a hospice and have since 2010 as well. Should I just stick to hospice volunteering and forget about the research? Which is more important?

To me, it sounds like your primary reason for partaking in the activity is to boost your appeal to admissions. Why not just focus whatever extra time you have to make sure you do well on the MCAT?

Like others have said, don't just do it for the application. Do it because it is interesting. Otherwise, work on studying for MCAT and improving that score.

Want to improve you app. My advice: drop everything, move to a remote location and study for the MCAT incessantly for 4 months straight. The MCAT is BY FAR the MOST IMPORTANT aspect to any application. Adcoms are looking for leaders, more specifically standardized testing leaders (read MCAT leaders who will show the most promise on the Step scores which is the MOST important aspect of residency applications). The MCAT should be your only EC right now.