Should I take USMLE step 3 as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

protamine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a graduate of an osteopathic medical school and currently attending an ACGME accredited internal medicine residency. I have taken both Comlex and USMLE for Steps one and two and passed both of them. Would there be any benefit for me to take USMLE step 3 as well as Comlex III? Note: I have taken Comlex PE but have never taken Step 2 CS which I would have to take as well in order to be eligible for USMLE step 3.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless a potential fellowship won't consider a COMLEX 3 score there is no reason to take the USMLE 3. These are licensing exams and you simply have to complete one series. There are a few states (some of the ones with separate licensure boards for DOs) that license DOs only on COMLEX so you could limit where you can eventually practice if you do not finish out COMLEX.

Unless a potential fellowship won't consider a COMLEX 3 score there is no reason to take the USMLE 3. These are licensing exams and you simply have to complete one series. There are a few states (some of the ones with separate licensure boards for DOs) that license DOs only on COMLEX so you could limit where you can eventually practice if you do not finish out COMLEX.

What states? Can you supplement USMLE step 3 for the comlex without taking step 1 or 2?

What states? Can you supplement USMLE step 3 for the comlex without taking step 1 or 2?

I know California and Oklahoma are 2 of them but there are a few more. I'm sure a quick google search for state osteopathic licensure boards or something similar will get you the rest.

And, no, they won't let you substitue USMLE 3. All states require completion of an entire series for licensure, not a mix and match of the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usmle policy bars people from sitting for step 3 who have not passed steps 1 and 2

http://www.usmle.org/bulletin/eligibility/

It does not appear to be a state licensing issue.

Last edited: