should I transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shevy rose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senior who is going to go to Farmingdale state college for the Fall 2015 school year for financial reasons. I am going to be a bioscience major. Would med schools look down on me for the fact that I went to Farmingdale whose reputation isn't the best. Or should I transfer after two years to a more elite college like Stony Brook.

Members don't see this ad.

The school you go to only plays any role in very specific cases (ie the very very top and the unaccredited - anywhere in the middle won't help or hurt). If you do decide to transfer, don't do it thinking it will significantly impact medical school admissions.

no offense but stony brook isn't considered all that "elite" compared to the likes of the ivy league colleges

Members don't see this ad :)
On OK. So I should just go to Farmingdale then?
Yes, if you are happy there.

The school that will best set you up for med school is the one where you are most likely going to excel. GPA is one of the most important qualities in an application, not undergrad institution.

GPA > Which UNDERGRAD College you attend

As others have already mentioned, undergrad prestige is not a huge factor with the exception of perhaps the most elite institutions. Besides, the MCAT provides an objective means to compare applicants from all universities; nail it and your concern becomes practically irrelevant.

Go to whatever university you're happy with and can afford. Don't worry about prestige. I chose my school because they gave me a scholarship to cover half of my tuition. Looking back, it was the right decision. I'll graduate with no debt, whereas if I had chosen to attend a higher-ranked school that I didn't get a scholarship for, I'd probably have loans. And seeing as most people will go into major debt for med school, graduating debt-free from undergrad is a big plus.