Should I transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shahin Sh

Swollen Anterior Talofibular
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a rising junior at a state college. I applied to only Johns Hopkins University as a transfer student and got in. Hopkins University offers a major I am interested in (Biophysics). But I think transferring will put me behind as I will have to start everything over at a second school. I currently hold a 4.0 with 2 majors (Biochem and Physics), work over the weekend as an EMT and am a president of a club at my current school.

However, I think Hopkins will offer a much better undergrad academic experience, especially for Premeds. They have good opportunities due to the medical environment there. Also, my dream Med school is Hopkins Med. I can either transfer and start building up my ECs from scratch, and have a better academic experience. Or I can stay at my current school and focus on my Med School Application. Any suggestions?

Btw, both schools will be free for me, so I don't have to worry about the finances.

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of rep does Johns Hopkins Med School have for taking their own? Some schools do and some often don't. Also do some research on how many credits will transfer, gpa/% of students who make A's where you are vs JH. You might go from a rising star to average sparkler, which could make getting into med school much harder or you might shine at JH and set yourself apart.

If all is good then since you are excited about it, transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you are a junior right now, I would honestly just sit tight and ride it out. If you're doing well, I wouldn't try to change a lot. A change that drastic could affect your grades. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. If you really hate your college and think JH would help you get into school, I'd definitely talk to the admissions people and see how much they would be willing to transfer. If it isn't much, I wouldn't bother. As long as your grades are that good and your state school is regionally accredited, you won't have a problem getting into a school.

Reactions: 1 user