Should I try again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

00quicksilver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my numbers:
-29O, 3.56 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA
-400+ hours of volunteering. 200 in free clinic, 50 in emergency room, 200 in outside organizations
-Worked full time first 3 years of college, then went to 20 hours a week
-Involved in 3 organizations but never in leadership :(
-I taught a Learning and Memory Lab for a semester
-Shadowed multiple physicians, clinical and surgical
-Currently Ph.D performing research on cholangiocarcinoma and blood brain barrier

I have a few questions:

1) I am a Texas resident but I will apply osteopathic and out of state. Am I competitive at all, preferably for Texas allopathic schools?

2) Will leaving a Ph.D program look bad to the schools that I apply to? I didn't do research during undergrad and have found that it is not for me.

3) Should I worry about improving my extracurriculars anymore at this point. My GPA should increase and I should have 1 publication prior to when I apply in May

4) The almighty MCAT. I have taken it 3 times, and each time done lower than my diagnostic tests significantly. On this third test (29O) I had diags that were 35+. I do not wish to take it again, but if this is the reason that keeps me out I will take it once more.

Other than that, does anyone have advice on what I need to do? I have applied previously and received no interviews, but I feel I know why. I had an altercation over a grading policy with a prof who ended up being the chair of my committee interview. He thought the idea was to belittle me and tear me down for 45 mins....so I feel that the letter I received was subpar compared to other applicants. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any response you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your issue is bigger than whether you're competitive for MD vs DO, but is more whether you're going to have a chance anywhere if you intend to abandon your PhD program. You would do better to convert to a masters and know the exact timeframe when you will have met the graduation requirements. Med schools often expect a letter of support from your current grad school advisor, which assures that the grad school knows your plans and that you will be done in time to matriculate to med school as expected.

I think your issue is bigger than whether you're competitive for MD vs DO, but is more whether you're going to have a chance anywhere if you intend to abandon your PhD program. You would do better to convert to a masters and know the exact timeframe when you will have met the graduation requirements. Med schools often expect a letter of support from your current grad school advisor, which assures that the grad school knows your plans and that you will be done in time to matriculate to med school as expected.
Catalystik is 100% right. Try getting the MS at all costs unless it is just unbearable to continue where you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the major issue I see with this is that they do not offer a M.S. degree at the medical school I attend. The only way to do this is to abandon the program or apply after gaining my Ph.D. This program is not unbearable but it does not make too much sense to spend 4-6 years in school for something that is not my ultimate goal in life. I have a very good relationship with my PI so I should be able to get a letter from her for recommendation to medical school. My other option is to really ramp up my research and push to graduate in 3 1/2 - 4 years but research does not always allow this. If I can get a strong letter from my current PI is there anything else ya'll would recommend? Should I retake my MCAT and work on extracurriculars? I may go to the medical school here and talk with them about my options closer to May (I'm lucky to be attending a HSC to have this option).

You might Search around in the Non-Trad Forum where I've seen posts by folks in your same position. See if there are comments on how it would be viewed if you just quit the program and waited a year before applying.

You might also make a phone appointment with a med school dean and ask the question anonymously (if possible).