Should I try applying next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got my MCAT score back from the 10/25/14 exam:

34 (11/11/12)

Very happy about that...

My undergraduate GPA, however, is pretty abbysmal: 3.21

It was from a Top rated undergrad for the record.

This fall I began my DIY postbacc at a state school. I have all A's. If I choose to apply next cycle, I will have completed 11 total post-bacc classes, and my cGPA will be 3.40 if I get all A's (I will). sGPA will be a bit higher.

So I would be applying with a 3.4, 34 with a strong upward trend in undergrad and a 4.0 post-bacc performance.

As for EC's, by next cycle I would have:

-6 years as a volunteer and recently appointed committe advisor for a non-profit K-12 school for the poor in Kenya

-100 hours of volunteer work at a hospice over 10 months

-80 hours of volunteering with homeless children over 10 months

-President of an Arts Society at my undergrad college

-250 hours as a mental health counselor at a neuro-rehab center over 6 months

-MAYBE 100 hours as a volunteer research associate at my local state medical school over one semester

-50 hours of physician shadowing

And I am an immigrant /first generation college student from a poor country. I am socioeconomically disadvantaged too..not URM though.

Apply or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently got my MCAT score back from the 10/25/14 exam:

34 (11/11/12)

Very happy about that...

My undergraduate GPA, however, is pretty abbysmal: 3.21

It was from a Top rated undergrad for the record.

This fall I began my DIY postbacc at a state school. I have all A's. If I choose to apply next cycle, I will have completed 11 total post-bacc classes, and my cGPA will be 3.40 if I get all A's (I will). sGPA will be a bit higher.

So I would be applying with a 3.4, 34 with a strong upward trend in undergrad and a 4.0 post-bacc performance.

As for EC's, by next cycle I would have:

-6 years as a volunteer and recently appointed committe advisor for a non-profit K-12 school for the poor in Kenya

-100 hours of volunteer work at a hospice over 10 months

-80 hours of volunteering with homeless children over 10 months

-President of an Arts Society at my undergrad college

-250 hours as a mental health counselor at a neuro-rehab center over 6 months

-MAYBE 100 hours as a volunteer research associate at my local state medical school over one semester

-50 hours of physician shadowing

And I am an immigrant /first generation college student from a poor country. I am socioeconomically disadvantaged too..not URM though.

Apply or not?
You sound pretty much like me last year! I went to a top private undergrad and got average grades. I went to a public school for a diy post bacc and killed it. And then I did well on the MCAT with a slightly higher score than yours. I applied really broadly which I'd recommend if you can afford it. I am happy to say I have an acceptance and have interviewed at top 10 schools despite many sub par grades as an undergrad. It's not an exact science so some parts and decisions make no sense but you have to be positive and give a good story about why you want to become a doctor. Good luck and start writing! And saving money! Haha

Looking good OP. The URM and nice MCAT combined with great ECs and excellent upward trend in GPA looks very good. Make sure you tailor an excellent and compelling story/theme for your PS and application, and I'm sure you will have success! In the mean time, save as much money as you can and do any interview prep you can.

Looking good OP. The URM and nice MCAT combined with great ECs and excellent upward trend in GPA looks very good. Make sure you tailor an excellent and compelling story/theme for your PS and application, and I'm sure you will have success! In the mean time, save as much money as you can and do any interview prep you can.
OP said they're not URM, just socioeconomically disadvantaged...but that, combined with your other advice, should work too.

You're totes in if you apply early and conservatively. Hit up tons (~15) fallback schools. Can't lose!

(DO = OP)