PhD/PsyD Should I try to go for a Ph.D?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that I have decoded to go the School Psych route I am very torn between whether or not I should commit myself to preparing for and applying to a Ph.D program. I think it would be a good idea to get a Ph.D early instead of waiting awhile but I also think its good to get real world experience. I wanted to post this thread to get some advice and opinions on whether or not I should aspire to go the Ph.D route immediately or get a MA or Ed.S and pay off all my loans while making a fund for living during a future Ph.D program.

Members don't see this ad.

Realistically, how likely is it that you'd back for a Ph.D. after becoming gainfully employed with a master's degree and making a comfortable salary? I would think pretty low. It sounds like you need to realistically consider your career goals and choose the training path that is the best fit. "Real world experience" is nice, but it's not what Ph.D. programs value most, not by a long shot.

Reactions: 1 users
Like I know that I would be happy with a MA/Ed.S but I would want to someday go back and get a Ph.D in order to teach or become licensed as a psychologist. Is it possible to do part time work (and do full time study in the summer)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I know that I would be happy with a MA/Ed.S but I would want to someday go back and get a Ph.D in order to teach or become licensed as a psychologist. Is it possible to do part time work (and do full time study in the summer)?
Very few people go back to get the doctorate after they are working in the field already. Also, most doctoral programs do not lend themselves well to continuing to work. The reason that there are questionable doctorate programs is because many people do find themselves not wanting to sacrifice 5 years of solid income for a relatively small incremental benefit.

Reactions: 1 users

There are some fields that make part-time study graduate possible (such as business and nursing), but psychology isn't one of them.

Have you looked into dual license programs? There are a few programs out there that train you in school psychology formally, but you also take clinical classes and undergo an APA approved clinical internship (assuming you match ;) ) so that when you are done you can be licensed as both a school and clinical psychologist - also pending that you do your post-doc hours and sit for the EPPP. Or, the best part, you can always not do a post-doc or the EPPP if you don't think clinical works for you, and work as a school psychologist for the rest of your life. Win win!

http://www.niu.edu/grad/academics/doctoral/psychology.shtml
https://www.gradsch.wisc.edu/mas/details/view/G283
http://www.twu.edu/psychology-philosophy/grad-school-psychology.asp
http://cms.bsu.edu/academics/colleg...y/grad-programs-school-psych/phd-school-psych

I'm sure these are just a few of the programs out there. Good luck! (feel free to direct message me with any questions)

Reactions: 1 user
But the thing that worries me about getting a Ph.D is that I will be overqualified to work in schools

While it is true that the majority of school psychologists have their M.Ed. or Ed.S., there are some districts (e.g., with more litigious parents) that only hire Ph.D. psychologists. And in Chicago suburbs, many of the schools have a Ph.D. school psychologist that are also clinically licensed. I only know this because I completed a dual clinical and school program in Chicago and was able to work with these people during my internship. So, in short, there are some districts that won't want to pay you extra for the advanced degree, but I'm happy to say that everyone from my cohort is currently employed. The advanced degree may also open you up to administration roles, too, if that is something you'd be interested in.

I think down the road I may want to go into admin or become a professor. Is it possible to adjunct with a MA/Ed.S? I think I may try to apply for some Ph.D/Psy.D programs while also applying for Ed.S programs.

I think it might be possible to adjunct with a masters at a really small college or a community college? But I think a doctorate would almost be required to teach in a University setting or a professional school. But I'm not 100% positive... Also, if being a professor is a definite goal for you make sure you do the Ph.D. program. I've heard that some universities will only hire Ph.D.'s or even Ed.D.'s because they believe they are more "research driven" than Psy.Ds. (Although we all know that in the clinical world these degrees are pretty equivalent.) But again, something I would look into before deciding on a school/program. :)

Sorry, psychmajor - I don't know about any well enough to recommend.

Reactions: 1 user