Should I wait a year or apply anyway?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelloTangelo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, folks!

I'm at a bit of a crossroads, and I'm not too sure exactly what I should do. Because of a busy schedule my last spring semester, I decided I'd study for the MCAT over the summer and take it in August, something my premed adviser said would be fine. Cut to a few months, and I'm about ready to take the test next week. I still haven't calculated my AMCAS GPA, but it should be around 3.8-3.9 (normal GPA), and I've got a decent amount of ECs, but I can't seem to get past a 30 on these AAMC practice tests.

It feels like I've wasted the past three months. I admit, maybe I could have studied harder. A few hours a day near the early portion might have been too little, and there were issues that cropped up every here and there, so I missed out on a couple of weeks of studying all together. But still, I thought I'd be pretty ready! I've gone through all the content (using EKs and PR), and I've done almost all the AAMC practice tests but one. My average is about 29.

The average for my singular state school (AR) is only around a 28, I think, but coupled with the late MCAT and possibly low score, I figure I don't really have the chance of applying anywhere else, and that's a bit of a bummer. I have my name on a published article, but I don't think that itself is enough, and I'm quite awkward around people I don't know well, so interviews would probably be a nightmare.

What do you guys think? Should I go with what I have so far and at least apply to the state school, or would it just all around be better to apply next cycle? The only thing about the latter is that I wouldn't know how to study for the MCAT for another few months. My motivation's kind of tanked in these last two weeks, so I haven't been able to study very intensively, and since I've used most of the AAMCs, I'm not very sure what other materials I should make use of. I've already gotten all my recommendation letters in too, so I definitely don't want to inconvenience any of the writers. I hope they have saved copies. If I take the MCAT again in the next year, I'll have to study through a full course load + research, so I don't know if that'll be any better. I feel like I'm just dragging out the pain.

Any thoughts and suggestions? I feel like I should be freaking out a little more, but at the moment, I just feel so resigned. @@

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am assuming you just finished your junior year, so my advice would be to take a light course load in the fall and study for the mcat and plan to take it during winter break.And absolutely make sure you are ready and can score over a 30. Apply next summer with a possible better mcat score, you should still take it this summer if you thin you can still do well, but regardless a gap year is good. After you graduate, during your gap year work, doing more EC's, get an internship, have fun, travel, do whatever. But make sure its both beneficial and enjoyable. Don;t be discouraged of a gap year because many students do it before medical school, just make sure you do something during the year, because they will ask you what you did during your gap year in the interview.

Well, are you OK with going to your state school or similar-caliber schools? If so then you might as well get it over with; if not then wait.

Thanks for the responses, guys. At the end of the day, I guess it just all also depends on whether I somehow make way below my average or not, but we'll see. It'd be nice to be somewhere not in Arkansas, but I'd also like to get it over with, so I suppose I'll try and apply depending on my score and hope for the best!

Thanks guys!