should I wait a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdk322

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some quick advice on what I should do given my situation. I've been going back and forth for over two weeks, and it's really starting to exhaust me. The way I see it - I only have two options:

1) apply both to MD and DO and go to whoever accepts me.
2) wait a year to increase my chances at a MD school

Here's my story (I've written two posts before, so I apologize if you've come across bits of my background).

- Canadian about to graduate from McGill next spring 2014.
- current cGPA 3.92 & sGPA 3.91 and I expect my GPA to stay relatively the same by the time I graduate.
- MCAT VR has been really biting me hard (first time: PS/VR/BS/W: 11/8/11/R; second: 10/7/11)
- EC (to date): 3 summers of research, research award, publications in school newspaper and magazine and undergrad journal, shadowing (~30 h), volunteer hospital musician as exec of school club, ward volunteer, exec of a school magazine.
- I'm 21 and there has been no gap in my education
- open to applying broadly anywhere in Canada & US but have lived in big cities all my life, so I want to stay in urban setting.

I started my MD application before I got my second MCAT score, and I started my DO application ever since (still being processed, so if I make a decision soon, I won't be burning bridges). I must admit that my main impetus for applying to DO schools is my poor MCAT scores. I know that I want to be a pediatrician, and I'm aware that I can achieve the goal with a DO degree. I have a bit of reservation about pursuing DO just yet but I'm equally afraid to wait back a year.

What I will gain by waiting a year:
2 publications (3rd author or so) in academic journals, more volunteer and shadowing experience, involvement with my faculty as a frosh leader and a committee member
(I will try to gain some volunteer experience abroad as well).

My biggest fear:
My MCAT VR score not improving. I'm an immigrant, and I never read a lot growing up. Reading comprehension/interpretation hasn't been strong all my life whether it be in my mother tongue or English....so I fear that a year wouldn't make a difference.

If I were to wait a year, I don't plan to be in school (i.e. Master's, etc), because I really want some time away from school if I have a chance to do so. I'll try to work and travel while completing my application and studying for the MCAT - but would this gap year without being in school affect me negatively?

I know that DO's make equally fine doctors, and I would be happy/feel honoured if I get accepted. It's just that I think my citizenship as Canadian already puts me at risk for securing residency, etc. Also, I know that I will write two sets of board exams if I follow the DO stream in order to return to Canada to join my family. Location/environment/support of school has had a huge influence on me throughout undergrad, and I believe it to be the same when I pursue medicine.

What should I do?

Alternatively, I COULD do #1 but defer my acceptance to DO (if I get lucky) and work on MD again.... although it would cost a ton of money..

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

same boat except I am an American citizen
didnt come to the States until 18, 1st mcat VR-8, 2nd mcat VR-7
I will retake mcat in Jan, if i m not improving on VR, i will just go to DO :(

Why don't you just apply to Canadian Medical schools? I can't speak for American Medical schools personally as I've never went through the process myself, but given that you are QC resident (I'm assuming this because you are from McGill) and since McGill doesn't look at your MCAT at all, you could potentially have a very good shot. Also, Ottawa doesn't look at MCAT and UBC doesn't seem to care very much about it (people have gotten interviews with about your MCAT score/spread). The only impediment I see with your low VR is top-tier American schools and Queen's, UWO, Calgary (which all have a hard MCAT VR cutoff).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will have a hard time getting into MD with a below avg MCAT score and especially with the worse retake. Publications would definitely help a lot, but your MCAT + being international would still making it difficult imo, how well did you prep and how did you average in VR/overall? If both of your scores are within your average scores, and were taken with good prep/no test day issues, I wouldn't bet on being able to do better on the third try. Canadian or DO schools may be a better option, but you'll have to wait for some of our adcom/staff members to weigh in on how being international affects your situation for the DO process.

Why don't you just apply to Canadian Medical schools? I can't speak for American Medical schools personally as I've never went through the process myself, but given that you are QC resident (I'm assuming this because you are from McGill) and since McGill doesn't look at your MCAT at all, you could potentially have a very good shot. Also, Ottawa doesn't look at MCAT and UBC doesn't seem to care very much about it (people have gotten interviews with about your MCAT score/spread). The only impediment I see with your low VR is top-tier American schools and Queen's, UWO, Calgary (which all have a hard MCAT VR cutoff).

I went to McGill just for undergrad (I'm actually not from QC so I don't have the residency). Yeah, I did what you recommended earlier this year by applying to UBC, Ottawa and McGill but I had no luck so I will most likely be attending a DO school in August. I just hope that it won't be too difficult for me to match 4 years down the road :s

I think you will have a hard time getting into MD with a below avg MCAT score and especially with the worse retake. Publications would definitely help a lot, but your MCAT + being international would still making it difficult imo, how well did you prep and how did you average in VR/overall? If both of your scores are within your average scores, and were taken with good prep/no test day issues, I wouldn't bet on being able to do better on the third try. Canadian or DO schools may be a better option, but you'll have to wait for some of our adcom/staff members to weigh in on how being international affects your situation for the DO process.

Thanks for the input Imn - 7/8 on VR were within average of my practice scores. I took an okay prep course when I first took the MCAT (I was going to self-study but I realized that I didn't know how to prepare for the exam so I ended up registering for one that my friend was taking). I didn't take a prep course second time... and did worse. There were no test day issues. I agree with you - my bets were on Canadian or DO schools and if lucky a low-tier MD school. Unfortunately, I had no luck with the Canadian cycle so I decided to go with a DO school I have been accepted to..