Should I wait on applying this fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bulldogs2741

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to these boards but have been browsing them for info for some time recently. I graduated last year in '09 from the University of Redlands. I was originally going to get into teaching but that isn't happening with the climate for teachers in California, so I decided to go into PT last summer.

The decision was made a little late so I wasn't able to get into any of the classes at the local CC to get the some of the prereq's that I need. This spring I took Psych100 and A&P I with 4.0's in both right now. I still need to take A&PII, another psych and a stat to finish my prereq's, the others I fulfilled at Redlands.

My question really is whether it would be beneficial for me to wait because I am not sure if I'll be able to get into the APII course I need, this summer and would need then take the rest of the prereq's in the fall and then would not even show up on my applications. I also should retake my Physics courses I took b/c I received 2.3's in both because I thought that I would never need to use that stuff when I was going to be a HS Biology teacher.

But with all of that I would pin my GPA after I finish the prereq's at a 3.3/3.4ish. But with retaking the Physics I would be able to have close to a 3.6 or 3.7.

I have also been involved with many things extra curricular such as:

- Coaching baseball at a High school for the past 3 years and will be the head JV coach next year.
- Getting hours at Loma Linda University PT and will be getting hours at a ortho clinic this summer.
- Maintaining a job at a sports bar for the past 4 years.
- Working as a tutor for the AVID program at the same HS I coach at
- being a youth group leader at my church for 3 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
- Working as a tutor for the AVID program at the same HS I coach at

Woo AVID tutors! I do that too at my former high school...man has that been a crazy experience. Not gonna lie, Cornell notes kinda suck...at least to grade them (the way my kids do them...it's still a new program here though - only in its second year).

ANYWAY...I say go ahead and apply...when I applied I only had grades for 3 science prereqs (but I had stats and all psych courses at that point). I took 5 science prereqs in the fall and am in my last science prereq and calc right now.

It seems like you have a well-rounded application, and could be an interesting candidate. Did you take the GRE yet? If you're applying in the fall, definitely take it sooner rather than later, so you at least have some GRE scores to submit...that could push it in your favor a bit assuming you do well.

Also, be sure to address why you want to go into PT instead of teaching in your application...something other than the teaching climate not being great...:p Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, being an AVID tutor sure does has its interesting moments, but I have a great time doing it though! And yes cornell notes, ahhh. But the school district I am at has implemented it throughout so I really haven't needed to coach too many on how to do those.

As far as the GRE I still need to take it and plan on studying for it this month because the season ends and I have a break in classes. I will then take it sometime early this summer and see how it goes and then retake it as soon as I get a chance if I need to.

I have been thinking about applying to a few of the CSU's. I considered USC but from the looks of it all they want is your money, and justify it because they are SC. I am also open to out of state if needed but would like to stay relatively close to California.

Again thanks for the comments. Any bit helps!