Should I withdraw my acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yehosh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got into SUNY UPSTATE NY from the waitlist. They called my phone last week and gave me a few days to think it over. After thinking it through, I accepted their offer this morning. The admissions officer informed me that letter will go out today.

Now I have an acceptance to Albany Medical College and obviously I need to withdraw it. Should I wait until I have the written package from Upstate before I withdraw from Albany, or should I inform them right away of my decision?

Not sure if I'm being overly paranoid here, but I don't want to withdraw from Albany and then have something go wrong with SUNY. All I have from them is a phone call at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call Upstate and explain that you need to withdraw from Albany by tomorrow to get your deposit back. Maybe they can fax you something in writing so you know your spot is secure.

Maybe ask for them to email a scanned copy of the letter or email you an acceptance notice. They should understand your request considering you'll be paying their bills.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd call Upstate and explain that you need to withdraw from Albany by tomorrow to get your deposit back. Maybe they can fax you something in writing so you know your spot is secure.

Maybe ask for them to email a scanned copy of the letter or email you an acceptance notice. They should understand your request considering you'll be paying their bills.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the advice :)

I also have a question , if you have accepted and matriculated into a school can you leave if you are accepted off a waitlist else where?

I also have a question , if you have accepted and matriculated into a school can you leave if you are accepted off a waitlist else where?
Once you've matriculated, you're in. You can't start July 30th at UCLA and then switch to Harvard when you get off the waitlist August 5th. (hypotheticals)

Hi,

I just got into SUNY UPSTATE NY from the waitlist. They called my phone last week and gave me a few days to think it over. After thinking it through, I accepted their offer this morning. The admissions officer informed me that letter will go out today.

Now I have an acceptance to Albany Medical College and obviously I need to withdraw it. Should I wait until I have the written package from Upstate before I withdraw from Albany, or should I inform them right away of my decision?

Not sure if I'm being overly paranoid here, but I don't want to withdraw from Albany and then have something go wrong with SUNY. All I have from them is a phone call at the moment.

Ah! This same thing actually happened to me with two other schools. In my case, I simply waited until I received the acceptance package in the mail from the second school before I withdrew from the first. I figured them waiting one week for me to receive my letter wouldn't hurt them that much. :D

You don't really have an acceptance until you get it in writing, and you haven't really "accepted" it until you sign the form and mail it back, so I think you have some time and are under no obligation to rush your withdrawal (but asking the new school to expedite materials makes sense).