Should I worry about this grade from years ago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itzsommyjr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To some of you, I'm sure this question will seem silly, but I am concerned that it might be the difference between being offered an interview or not. I'm a non-traditional student, currently in the process of applying for PTCAS early decision for Wayne State University's PT program this month. Anyway, my dilemma is as follows:

I've spoken with the PT department at Wayne, and they have assured me that I have fulfilled all prerequisites required to apply to the program. All of my science credits are from the past two years, and the only outstanding class I have in math/science is freshman college Calculus I, which I took over 13 years ago. Despite this, the PT department representative told me that they will accept the grade for this class, as it is the only prerequisite math or science class I have on my transcript from more than 6 years ago.

However, this is the only bad prerequisite grade I have on my entire transcript -- I earned a B- in this class. I began college at UM-Dearborn in 2002, transferred to UM-Ann Arbor in 2004, graduated from there in 2007, and then returned to school at a local community college in 2013 (to ease back in) and finished up the rest of my prerequisites at Wayne State in 2014. I have all As in all of my other prerequisite courses, but this one grade from 13 years ago takes my Math & Science GPA from a 4.00 down to a 3.83.

I realize that a 3.83 is still a high GPA, but should I be concerned about this? Am I just worrying over nothing? I'll freely admit that I was not very happy to see how much that B- shaved off of my math and science GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Relax! A B- is not going to make or break you, especially in calculus which is not the most PT-relevant thing ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
To expand a little, I was in a similar state. I'm a nontraditional too. My GPA was around a 3.9, but I had one C+ from over a decade years ago in an upper division science class. I had decided against pre-med back then, but I couldn't drop the class for scholarship reasons so I just mostly ignored it like an idiot. My other grades were good, so that didn't hurt me at all. Nobody even mentioned that class to me. That seems pretty similar to your calculus situation. You'll be fine. Good luck.