should I worry about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chintu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just started MSIII and one week done w/ my neurology rotation. I can say that I am liking the rotation so far and everyone in my team is fine except the chief resident. He has problems w/ other residents constantly and is overworked,angry and condescending all the time and he has made me feel really stupid at times. Having very little preclinical experience myself I will admit I have made a few mistakes in my physical exams in front of residents and attendings but I try my best to learn as many new things as I can. I asked my attending about my performance so far and he said all he is looking for is the "attitude" and says I am doing fine so far. I am worried that not getting along with the chief resident will result in bad evals and a poor grade. In our syllabus it says that 50% of the grade is determined by attending, 40% shelf and 10% residents; but I am thinking since our attending has so little time to spend w/ medstudents he will rely more on residents to evaluate me and hence poor eval for me. I guess I am just asking whether I should be worried about this since its my 1st rotation, is there any suggestions on what I can be doing to make a better impression now?

Members don't see this ad.

chintu said:
Hi,

I just started MSIII and one week done w/ my neurology rotation. I can say that I am liking the rotation so far and everyone in my team is fine except the chief resident. He has problems w/ other residents constantly and is overworked,angry and condescending all the time and he has made me feel really stupid at times. Having very little preclinical experience myself I will admit I have made a few mistakes in my physical exams in front of residents and attendings but I try my best to learn as many new things as I can. I asked my attending about my performance so far and he said all he is looking for is the "attitude" and says I am doing fine so far. I am worried that not getting along with the chief resident will result in bad evals and a poor grade. In our syllabus it says that 50% of the grade is determined by attending, 40% shelf and 10% residents; but I am thinking since our attending has so little time to spend w/ medstudents he will rely more on residents to evaluate me and hence poor eval for me. I guess I am just asking whether I should be worried about this since its my 1st rotation, is there any suggestions on what I can be doing to make a better impression now?

Unfortunately Chintu, this is the crappy part of third year. This happens, and all the time. When you hear everyone on SDN moaning about how they got graded unfairly, these were not lies. There is very little you can do. The only suggestion I can offer is standard and what everyone will tell you: you need to read, read, read so you can impress your team with your clinical knowledge. If you feel uncomfortable with the neuro exam, ask your chief resident if you can observe him do an exam and if he'll watch you and give you pointers. You can also ask him how you're doing and what else he recommends you do. This is also a political situation in which the residents aren't getting along. You have to be EXTRA SURE not to get involved in their pettiness. Don't gossip with the residents - you're not at their level, don't talk to other students about the situation in places where you could possibly be overheard, etc.

I know this is generic advice, but there's nothing you can do to make someone like you who obviously has other issues going on. Just do your best, and realize that third year is a crapshoot and a sh*tshow!

Don't sweat the chief resident. The attending should fill out your evals. Just do what you're told, be accountable, and observe whatever you're supposed to observe, never question chief's judgement, etc. And if the chief goes off on a rant about how much he hates his life, the program, his job, the attending, whatever, just listen, ignore the strong urge to make any comments.

I've seen this 'chief resident' syndrome and it's scary. It's not w/ all chiefs, but you see someone who is so unhappy and it makes you second guess your choice to come to med school and makes you scared about your future.

Hang in there.

LovelyRita said:
Don't sweat the chief resident. The attending should fill out your evals...
Hang in there.

Not true at my school. Residents and attendings alike fill out evals. You're going to have to come up with a way to make something work if you want to save face.