Should LOR's address strengths and weaknesses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc412

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My recommender has never written a med school recc before and was wondering if he should also discuss avenues for improvements in addition to my strengths. Or should the LOR be solely strengths?

I had no idea what to tell him and my premed advisor conveniently went on vacation this week.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i think they generally should be positive. your writer is trying to convince the school that you would be a good addition to their class.

i remember reading a comment by LizzyM (an adcom) that rarely does she get a letter with negative comments about the applicant.

weaknesses... NOOOO WAY

only strengths!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I totally agree with everyone else - this is a chance for the recommender to sell you on all your talents and strengths. definitely leave the weaknesses out!

You know part of the adcom's job is to find reasons NOT to accept you (ie. weaknesses). Why the heck would you want to help them out in this regard?! Tell your letter-writer: Only Positives Please!!!

The only way weaknesses should be included are if they are things that you don't have anymore. If during your collegiate career the recommender has seen your evolution and growth as a student and will be able to comment on that. In this case it's not a weakness anymore since you have grown past that point.

Definitely no weaknesses!

A lot of people review these letters quickly, and many will conclude that it is a very weak letter, no matter how strong the rest of the content is.

A LOR should be an argument about why we should take a person, not a comprehensive analysis of their pros and cons.