Should Podiatrists Play a Larger Role in the Primary Care Physician Shortage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In light of diminishing primary care MD/DO providers (early retirement, no new Medicare/Medicaid patients), and the soon to be implemented ACA, would podiatrists be qualified to fill some of the gaps? I cannot get a read on the current state of training regarding their clinical skills, or capabilities with respect to medical management of HTN, DM, Obesity, counseling, minor dermatologic conditions, GI/GU screening, Neuro, Cardio, Pulm, Psych assessment, etc. The threads on this site are ambivalent, as is much of the literature. Are they qualified to do a thorough workup? I understand that they have extensive training (seven years[?] period, but cannot get a good read on their skills with respect to evaluating patients outside of feet. (I am an MD fact finding for a national project). If you should have any questions feel free to PM me, and we can discuss this further.

Members don't see this ad.

Random Absurd thread. Troll alert

I have never been through a pod school curriculum? I don't have enough experience to say whether or not this thread is a troll thread. But I would think that PAs and NPs are going to be first to step in to fill primary care shortage no?