Should students be worried about lecom's board passing rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1passbbsSHAVE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is only tentative, but i got reached out from lecom for a possible offer pretty soo . Nothing is for sure, but the fact that they reached out hopefully means something positive.

Should i overly worry about current situation with 4 th year student?
How's the cost of living over there?
Patient pool enough for enough clinic exposure for all students?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would be concerned but not totally turned off from the school. They have quite a few years to fix what happened before you would take part 2 of your boards. CoA isn't too bad compared to major cities. Bradenton is a nice area and I LOVE Tampa. It seriously pains me to move away from Tampa.

Patient pool is another concern. When I was there, I saw students laying around in the chairs and 0 patients... but I could have just been there at an off time. Also, I obviously didn't get to see their other clinics where you spend your 4th year.

However, if I had to make a choice between LECOM or Touro, I would go for LECOM. They are 4 years more established than Touro.

Basically
Touro < LECOM < Anywhere else

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I would be concerned but not totally turned off from the school. They have quite a few years to fix what happened before you would take part 2 of your boards. CoA isn't too bad compared to major cities. Bradenton is a nice area and I LOVE Tampa. It seriously pains me to move away from TAmpa.

Patient pool is another concern. When I was there, I saw students laying around in the chairs and 0 patients... but I could have just been there at an off time. Also, I obviously didn't get to see their other clinics where you spend your 4th year.

However, if I had to make a choice between LECOM or Touro, I would go for LECOM. They are 4 years more established than Touro.

Basically
Touro > LECOM > Anywhere else
I think you meant anywhere else > Lecom >Touro

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would. Like to hear more on patient pool situation if anyone else can share personal experience.

Anyone know what happened to 4th yr students who didnt pass the board? Retest? Remediation kind of thing?

This is the 4th year clinic in Erie
I don't know any current students, but it looks pretty nice. I kinda like the idea of full time working with patients your 4th year. Idk

Would. Like to hear more on patient pool situation if anyone else can share personal experience.

Anyone know what happened to 4th yr students who didnt pass the board? Retest? Remediation kind of thing?
Why don't you join the Facebook group and reach out to see if there are any 4th years to talk to. I know in the U of MN class page we have many, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students.

Reactions: 1 user
#21QR

To be fair, I mainly post on SDN when I'm supposed to be teaching. A student was asking me questions and another commenting on how loud my typing when was I wrote that, so I was a bit distracted ;)

Was just messing with you :p I also post on SDN while on the job:whistle:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the same as you guys. Housing seemed cheaper, and I never realized that Florida was no-income-tax state. Doesn't cost of living go up a tad bit because of that? I hear that they try to compensate for lost income tax by taxing other ****s like gas, grocery, food, etc. Like you guys said, in 4 years, hopefully the problems they had will be corrected. This is their first graduating class that had issues, right? Did they not graduate? Couldn't get licensed?

Is this really a no brainer if I do get a definite answer from LECOM? Touro deposit deadline is coming up on Monday, so if I don't hear back from them, I will have to put the deposit down. Of couse, only after I paid the deposit, they might call and say it's a go. I know it's a good problem to have at this point in cycle, but I want to make sure I am making the right choice.

Florida's sales tax only 7% (I'm pretty sure). This is not going to bring your cost of living up to Westchester County levels; not even close. NY state income tax for $43,200+ filing as a couple is 6.65%, and they have a 4% sales tax as it is. However, local municipalities can add their own sales tax of up to 4.875% in addition to the statewide 4%, making your total sales tax as high as 8.875%.

Just think, if LECOM's first class had issues, why wouldn't Touro's? Won't you be happy to go somewhere where the problems have been addressed rather than somewhere where you'll be waiting for them to happen?
Just dug out a receipt from my bag. ~6.55% sales tax for one of my purchases in Hernando County, FL. Plus no income tax is awesome.

I am convinced. I guess they just need to send me a solid offer for me to give up my first spot.

Just dug out a receipt from my bag. ~6.55% sales tax for one of my purchases in Hernando County, FL. Plus no income tax is awesome.

That is pretty sweet.

The best scenario? Rent in New Hampshire.

Then, No property tax (since you rent) + No income tax (NH law) + No sales tax (NH law) = #winning. You'll save a HUGE amount of money in state, income, and property taxes...I'd venture you'd save at least $200,000 over a decade.

LUCOM < Touro = LECOM < Anywhere else

this is not a DO thread and LUCOM is a DO school.
Ohhhhhhhh damn, that makes sense. New post function leading me astray :laugh: I'm in a haze from all this Step 1 studying, and just saw LECOM and Touro and low quality and made assumptions, because their reputation is pretty similar on the DO end of things

Ohhhhhhhh damn, that makes sense. New post function leading me astray :laugh: I'm in a haze from all this Step 1 studying, and just saw LECOM and Touro and low quality and made assumptions, because their reputation is pretty similar on the DO end of things

really? is Touro DO one of the DO schools that take the highest MCAT and highest GPA compared to other DO schools? hence, touro DO is said to be one of the best?

Lol I was like ??????

I want to hear from current LECOM students. I heard that the patient pool is not that great. Do you guys think you guys are adequately exposed to patient and get to see diverse cases?
Also, how difficult did you find adjusting to new place after having to move on your 4th year?

Also, I experienced this personally and also heard from other interviewwes. Lecom faculties discourage students from specializing. Do you see far less students getting matched to specialty program than from other school? Is it significantly difficult to match to a specialty program or is it not a problem?

Thanks in advance guys.

Do you see far less students getting matched to specialty program than from other school? Is it significantly difficult to match to a specialty program or is it not a problem?

Thanks in advance guys.
Their first class hasn't graduated yet

oh that's right. Okay I guess we odn't know about possibilities of specilizing until the semester end.
I'm sure most of the specialty programs have already picked their residents for next year.
Match day 2016 was a few months ago.

Last edited: