Should we know the current state of dental healthcare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youraverageasia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know for medical school they ask you questions about the health care system. Should we know it for dental interviews too?

Members don't see this ad.

Current state of dental healthcare how? What policies normally cover, trends, what??

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a very vague question, but yes, I'd recommend anyone interviewing for a career opportunity to be in-tuned to the current state of that career. There are plenty of resources (dentists, internet, journals, etc.) that you can utilize to beef up on your knowledge-base. Even if you never need it during an interview, you might learn something that interests you.

You should just because its your future career! Added bonus that if it comes up during your interview, you can demonstrate your commitment to the dental field and your genuine interest in it.

Just went to an interview where I was asked about it. I'd familiarize yourself. Luckily I had read up and had something prepared to say for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Some things you can search for:

New dental technologies (restorative materials, enamel regeneration)
Role of intermediate providers (advanced DH's, dental therapist)
Role of insurance (especially ACA, and now the huge problem with TPP)
Future education of dental health (e.g. that PvZ campaign the ADA did a few years back)

Reactions: 1 users
They asked me what the biggest obstacle in dentistry is right now...

I said the field providing care for uninsured persons and people living in rural or other underserved areas, then went into more detail about it.

...and also connected it back to why I chose to do dentistry in the first place. If you can connect the question to something and make it significant, they'll love that. For example: talk about new dental technologies and how you saw that utilized in one of the environments you shadowed in.

So, I had shadowed and volunteered in a clinic that specifically treated people without insurance free of charge. I talked about that place and the people that a) helped me to realize how great of a need there is for dentists in low-income areas, and b) cemented my desire to become a dentist.

And then I said that I felt a responsibility to contribute practically in any way that I could toward the communities that helped to craft my perspectives on dentistry. I think I came across well, because the interviewer said he loved it. If you can take questions that they throw at you and answer them, but then spin them to talk about something meaningful on top of it, they'll love you. So I would always start thinking about questions like these... Go online and try to find practice questions and think of unique angles you could take for each. Way better than just answering the question and then sitting there waiting for the next one to come.

Reactions: 2 users
Predental clubs is a great place to have these discussions. Find other people in similar positions to yourself (predent) and open a dialogue. You can also try and get dental students to come to the club, and they can offer a different perspective. I agree with ptlk - think of unique angles, really try to think rather than just speak

...and also connected it back to why I chose to do dentistry in the first place. If you can connect the question to something and make it significant, they'll love that. For example: talk about new dental technologies and how you saw that utilized in one of the environments you shadowed in.

So, I had shadowed and volunteered in a clinic that specifically treated people without insurance free of charge. I talked about that place and the people that a) helped me to realize how great of a need there is for dentists in low-income areas, and b) cemented my desire to become a dentist.

And then I said that I felt a responsibility to contribute practically in any way that I could toward the communities that helped to craft my perspectives on dentistry. I think I came across well, because the interviewer said he loved it. If you can take questions that they throw at you and answer them, but then spin them to talk about something meaningful on top of it, they'll love you. So I would always start thinking about questions like these... Go online and try to find practice questions and think of unique angles you could take for each. Way better than just answering the question and then sitting there waiting for the next one to come.

Honestly, one of the best advice I have seen in this forum regarding interviews.

I've tried to find a volunteer position at the local community dental clinic but they don't need volunteers :O. Too many gunners...