Show dentist LOR to other LOR writers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ntpredent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I did some searching and couldn't find any threads on this thought--

What are your guys' opinion of offering your dentist's LOR for professors to read? Given they don't know you very well AND the dentist LOR is signed, and in a sealed in an envelope which is again signed at the flap?

I'm asking as I'm in this situation, my last classes for LORs were from years ago and the professors don't know me well. I've been working as a dental assistant for a year and the dentist said he wrote me a strong LOR with positive notes on my work ethic/personality/etc he's learned over the year. He checked up on my application process about getting professor LORs and he offered that he could make copies of his LOR in sealed/signed evelopes to give out to other potential writers so they could get a better picture of my personal qualities.

What are your thoughts on this? Would the professors be able to use it? I'm thinking if I do this I'd need to let them know they can't mention the read my dentist LOR in their LOR for me, because LOR writers can't read each others letters for help, or can they?? Seems too messy but it seems like a practical idea, or do most professors do ok not really knowing your but working off your personal statement, cv, transcripts etc?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.