Showed up late, but know who I'm dancing with!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scrambled into Duke!

This is after getting a mistaken offer from Kalamazoo (someone else with the same first name, and similar last name - not until the fax did I know it wasn't me!), good words late last week from Drew, a call back from DRH saying they filled, and Metropolitan still having 2 spots open at 3pm. Wash U had their spot filled by 12:15. VCU (who haven't filled 2 years in a row, now) filled by 3pm.

Maimonides telephone has been continually busy, as was Mayo (until I gave up at 1pm). Cook County wants the paper app only (the CAF from ERAS), by mail only...and the Brooklyn Hospital isn't even going to look until tomorrow.

I'm not sure what the deal was with Duke having 7 spots listed - the PD said that there were a few spots open, but they still filled some of them; she said that she was on the phone continuously trying to find out what was going on (until, of course, I strode in! :) ).

Mt. Sinai with one open spot, and I don't match...thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude.. that's awesome!!!

Apollyon

Congrats! you could be the start of a stellar program. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Apollyon
Scrambled into Duke!

Congratulations. Did the PD give a reason why they filled zero spots? Did they not interview enough people?

Either way, glad to hear.

Can you explain why the initial stats said "41 spots" but the list I looked at had 21 spots. At first I just thought the list was being updated in real time, but it still says 21 after you guys matching. Was it a typo originally????

mike

Mike, there are 21 programs that have a total of 48 open spots between them.

That is, there WERE 48 spots until Apollyon nabbed a hot one at Duke! Congrats, man!

Other scramblers: please please let us know if you made it, or if you know who did make it. A friend of mine just spent four hours on the phone scrambling for EM and came up snake eyes. He settled on IM.

Who are these people who get EM in the scramble?

Originally posted by mikecwru
Congratulations. Did the PD give a reason why they filled zero spots? Did they not interview enough people?

Either way, glad to hear.

Can you explain why the initial stats said "41 spots" but the list I looked at had 21 spots. At first I just thought the list was being updated in real time, but it still says 21 after you guys matching. Was it a typo originally????

mike

41 spots at 21 programs.

I asked about that zero, and the PD said that they filled more than half through the match, and she didn't know why the system showed zero - they only had a couple of scramble spots. Even so, I think I will be the first and only FMG in the program, judging from the names on the email (Geek Medic on another thread said that the PD's find out today who matched with them).

It's interesting, because new or questionable programs often have a bunch of FMG's (check out the first year class at Maimonides, who didn't fill this year, or, if you can find it, a resident list at Metropolitan, and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that Melb matched at NY-Presbyterian), but I'm the only one going to Duke who had to pony up the $$ for all the hoops.

Even so, it's like I told everyone - I'll go anywhere, because I know what I want and need, and will get it wherever I go. Being at the Duke palace can't hurt.

Apollyon,

DUKE!!! Great Job!!! Love to hear a success story especially from a fellow FMG! Hopefully Annette will have a similiar tale. I heard really great things about Duke and was shocked to see their unfilled spots, I have a friend there doing IM who is very happy. I hear NC is great also. As for me I would love to go to NYP, I ranked the following way

1. St. Lukes Roosevelt (a pipe dream I think in view of other peoples lists)
2. NYP
3. NorthShore
4. Denver
5. Jacobi
6. Metopolitan

Will let you know in 43 hours. Again congratulations!!

Melb

First of all I want to congratulate all those who matched and those who scrambled in today (Apollyon).

I stumbled upon this site a couple of weeks ago, but obviously have not posted yet. I guess part of it was time, but part was complete anxiety about the application process this year.

I am someone who did not match in EM last year and scrambled into a medicine prelim year. I was shocked, in that I honestly did not believe there was anyway I would not match. Well, I decided to keep my head up and reapply. I was fortunate to get the good email starting with "congratulations" instead of "we're sorry" this year. I guess the point to my post is that even if you did not match and end up scrambling into a non-EM residency spot (such as a prelim or transitional year) don't give up. I was surprised at the amount of positive feedback that I got this year not only in numbers of interviews, but from the interviewers themselves. They see reapplying as a real interest in EM. Good luck to everyone!!!!! :clap:

Apolly-

CONGRATULATIONS! THat is AWESOME!

I couldnt' believe the 0 for Duke, either.

Actually I kind of smirked, (because I thought it was true), because they flat out rejected me for an interview.

WOw, Apollyon, that is awesome. I have been following your trail from the EMRA website.................... :)

:clap:

Now we gotta cheer on Annette!

:clap:

Way to go Apollyon. Look at it this way, not only is it Duke, but it's three years versus the four years at Mt. Sinai (suckers).

I don't know who you are, but I, too, remember you from the EMRA site, and was happy to see you over here when the EMRA site went under construction (yeah, right). You've made it through the storm, and I know that you'll do great in EM.

Keep up the strong work.