Sign that they are ranking me highly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabdel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a call from a program today saying that I am on their rank list and that they enjoyed meeting with me at the interview. Is this a a sign that I could be high on their rank list? I doubt they would call every single person on their rank list when they could just email them. Or am I wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
never read into anything... Last year I got personalized emails and they even gave my wife an interview and she got personalized emails stating that they loved us and wanted us at the program... These things ensure you rank them... They don't accurately reflect how they are ranking you.

Reactions: 1 users
Know a guy that got that ranked message. Decided to only put 2 programs down because he was sure he was going to match there. Guess what? Did not match at all and had to wash up in the SOAP.

Never trust anything until March 18th, 2016 after 1 pm when you have or see the letter stating where you are going.

Reactions: 2 users
After sending a number 1 email about a month ago, I got a message this past weekend that went along the lines of "we submitted our rank list, and I'm looking forward to talking with you in a few weeks, meeting you and your wife in June, and working with you for X years".

What do you guys think?

One thing I can say for sure, is that I'll be happy when this is over...
Sounds better.........yet never trust anything until you have the actual results. Be cautiously optimistic.

After sending a number 1 email about a month ago, I got a message this past weekend that went along the lines of "we submitted our rank list, and I'm looking forward to talking with you in a few weeks, meeting you and your wife in June, and working with you for X years".

What do you guys think?

One thing I can say for sure, is that I'll be happy when this is over...

I think that you are well on your way to matching to that program. If a PD is going to lie to you...it is usually not done in writing.

With that said...don't assume anything. Fill out your entire rank list based on preference.

Know a guy that got that ranked message. Decided to only put 2 programs down because he was sure he was going to match there. Guess what? Did not match at all and had to wash up in the SOAP.

Never trust anything until March 18th, 2016 after 1 pm when you have or see the letter stating where you are going.

I've been thinking about him fairly regularly for the last month or so. He did say that FM was a close second, and that he wasn't too upset by it. I hope he was telling the truth.

I received a letter that said "strong position on our list" from a program. A classmate of mine received an email from the same program that said "very strong position on our list."

I take two things away from this - she is more likely to match there than I am, and why is it so hard for programs to be straight forward about this whole thing?

I've been thinking about him fairly regularly for the last month or so. He did say that FM was a close second, and that he wasn't too upset by it. I hope he was telling the truth.
Well, in October while on rotation, all I heard was Psychiatry. There was no FM mentioned. Not once.
Like I said above, never trust anyone until you have all the info. I think it was more a save face notion than truth.

I received a letter that said "strong position on our list" from a program. A classmate of mine received an email from the same program that said "very strong position on our list."

I take two things away from this - she is more likely to match there than I am, and why is it so hard for programs to be straight forward about this whole thing?
Now, I actually find that pretty funny! :rofl:

I received a letter that said "strong position on our list" from a program. A classmate of mine received an email from the same program that said "very strong position on our list." I take two things away from this - she is more likely to match there than I am, and why is it so hard for programs to be straight forward about this whole thing?
Ouch.

So.... what you're saying is that there's somebody who got a "very very strong position on our list" email, right? What a joke of the process to differentiate people based on a "very" or not.

So.... what you're saying is that there's somebody who got a "very very strong position on our list" email, right? What a joke of the process to differentiate people based on a "very" or not.

No, I think for that tier they preferred to use "super duper strong position"

...why is it so hard for programs to be straight forward about this whole thing?

What exactly do you want me to tell you? Let's say I have 10 positions, and I usually match 1:10 on my list (so my last match comes from around 100). If you're in the top 10, I can tell you that you're "ranked to match". If you're 11-80, then you're very likely to match, but certainly not guaranteed. If you're 81-120, it's possible. If you're >120 it's unlikely. But if I do go down to 124, I want that person to feel just as part of my program as everyone else.

ORLY?

Many of the MSPE's I see classify students into "Exceptional", "Outstanding", and "Excellent", often without any explanations for what that means.

Many of the emails I get from students tell me that they are "ranking me in their top group of programs". What does that mean?

This is why some have advocated for no communication post interview -- but that seems draconian also, and I'm certain that plenty on SDN would worry that no communication = they are not interested in me.

Reactions: 3 users
What exactly do you want me to tell you? Let's say I have 10 positions, and I usually match 1:10 on my list (so my last match comes from around 100). If you're in the top 10, I can tell you that you're "ranked to match". If you're 11-80, then you're very likely to match, but certainly not guaranteed. If you're 81-120, it's possible. If you're >120 it's unlikely. But if I do go down to 124, I want that person to feel just as part of my program as everyone else.

ORLY?

Many of the MSPE's I see classify students into "Exceptional", "Outstanding", and "Excellent", often without any explanations for what that means.

Many of the emails I get from students tell me that they are "ranking me in their top group of programs". What does that mean?

This is why some have advocated for no communication post interview -- but that seems draconian also, and I'm certain that plenty on SDN would worry that no communication = they are not interested in me.

Is it so much to ask that each PD does statistical analysis on the likelihood of everyone of their applicants matching? PD's don't understand how important this is to appease the neurosis of a medical student. Students would like to see...you are 10 out of 200, and you have a 35.5% chance of matching, with a standard deviation of x.

I mean...there is something called EXCEL. If research is an ACGME requirement, I would suspect that a PD would have the capability of performing such calculations. Sheesh. :)

I appreciated that the majority of the IM programs followed the APDIM guidelines and it was radio silence minus emails to ask for latest step 2 scores or the generic mass emails about fellowship results / clarifications of things that were in the works during interviews season.

If this were a Match rule across all programs/applicants I would be completely alright with it (of course, that is just my opinion and not everyone's). My issue with the way it is now is there is too much speculation between what programs mean in their communication. In theory it shouldn't make a difference on either side anyway.

If this were a Match rule across all programs/applicants I would be completely alright with it (of course, that is just my opinion and not everyone's). My issue with the way it is now is there is too much speculation between what programs mean in their communication. In theory it shouldn't make a difference on either side anyway.

In reality, this IS what it means. It doesn't make a difference. Except medical students (especially those who post on SDN) are in the upper echelon of neurotic, so they want to extract information from every single thing that is said or happens (or isn't said or doesn't happen) and try to read the tea leaves prior to match day.

Of course this is impossible, so we end up with threads like these, and pretty much 50% of those in this entire sub-forum.

never read into anything... Last year I got personalized emails and they even gave my wife an interview and she got personalized emails stating that they loved us and wanted us at the program... These things ensure you rank them... They don't accurately reflect how they are ranking you.
Did you match there?