Significant others in medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyasaclam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend will be an attending by the time I'm a first year med student (nontrad). Is anyone else in a similar position? It's silly, but I struggle with knowing how far "ahead" of me he'll be, and feeling ignorant compared to him. He obviously doesn't care at all and is super supportive, but it's definitely something I struggle with internally ...

Members don't see this ad.

you will be ignorant compared to him....you'll also be dating someone making 200k

Reactions: 1 users
It seems like it could be very helpful to have someone who is understanding of the path and the material. If you're a non-trad you already have the possibility of seeing others who are younger than you and pursuing the same career, right? You can't let that nag at you, much like you can't let his higher level of knowledge affect you. Find the good, don't dwell on the 'bad'.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My SO is going to be an attending in a few weeks. I'm just so excited for him. We were together throughout his entire residency and long-distance for one year of it. It was brutal and I am so happy that it's over.

Last edited: