Significant Others Medical Problems as an experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjc4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife had many medical problems during my junior year. I was curious what people's opinions are about me using it as one of 15 experiences. It had a significant impact on my grades and was one the most stressful and emotional times of my life, for obvious reasons. I don't have room to talk about it in my PS but feel it was an experience that had a significant impact on my path to Medicine. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Personal/family problems are not the intention of the prompt.
Here's what AMCAS says:
"Here you will enter any work experience, extracurricular activities, awards, etc."
"Think about the work experience, extracurricular activities, awards, honors, or publications that you would like to bring to the attention of your medical schools."
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/section-5-work-and-activities/
It's creepy to think of your wife as an extra-curricular activity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I may be totally wrong here, but I put under experience, "other" and discussed care to a disabled relative. However, that experience spanned mutiple years and many hours, and frankly included things at the level of nursing duties.

What I lurked off SDN those years ago, was my inspiration for including it there.
This aspect of my application at least in the few interviews I had, seemed to be viewed positively.

However, since your experience sounds very time limited and is also wrapped up in explaining academic difficulties, listing it where you are asking may not be the best place to introduce this aspect of your life and how it impacted your career aspirations, etc.

Some people make it part of their PS, might be appropriate for some secondary essay prompts.

I'm curious as to why you aren't including it in your PS if it had a significant impact on your path to medicine. If I were you I would edit out whatever you need to and include this experience. Get someone to help you cut down your PS and find some room to fit this in because it sounds important to your story and trust me, you can always trim some fat off the first several drafts of a PS. I'd be happy to help you if you can't find someone willing to do this for you! I come from a journalism background so I'm used to editing :)