Significant Research Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laakari

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can regular MD programs see my significant research essay? The AMCAS doesn't say that it only goes to MD/PhD programs, unlike the MD/PhD essay.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
depending on what school youre applying to,
some are hige fans of any research
so id ask the admissions ppl if they have any suggestions,
i have a friend who was asked to send in the research that has been published as a separate attachment altogether

Members don't see this ad :)
The flow in every school is a bit different... For most, if you apply for that school MD/PhD and MD, is typically one of these two choices: a) an independent event, b) MD/PhD review first if defer to MD, only then, consider for MD (problem is that it occurs late when they have committed too many MD slots).

I figured I would ask this question on an existing thread rather than start a new one:

Is it OK to describe a research experience I haven't started yet on the sig. research essay? I will be doing research in my field of interest abroad next year on a fellowship, but won't be starting until September. I already have this listed in AMCAS work/activities as an honor/award and mentioned it in my MD/PhD essay. I didn't go into the details of what I will be doing in those essays, though. Of course, I can't describe what I learned from this experience in my sig. research essay since I haven't started yet, so I'm not sure whether I should describe it or not.

I think you should mention the fact that you will be researching abroad next year and briefly talk about the research topic, but you should not go into too much detail if you are not sure what you'll be doing yet. Also the significant research essay is supposed to be a space where you discuss prior research experience. Don't worry, your fellowship will be brought up during interviews so you will have the chance to talk about it then. Someone from an adcom should confirm.

I think you should mention the fact that you will be researching abroad next year and briefly talk about the research topic, but you should not go into too much detail if you are not sure what you'll be doing yet. Also the significant research essay is supposed to be a space where you discuss prior research experience. Don't worry, your fellowship will be brought up during interviews so you will have the chance to talk about it then. Someone from an adcom should confirm.

I do know what I'll be doing -- the fellowship is for a specific research proposal. I think I'll probably just make it shorter than the others.

Do you guys think we should just plainly describe what we did in the lab or comment on it?

Do you guys think we should just plainly describe what we did in the lab or comment on it?
I did both. I described research questions, specific techniques, etc. and then followed with comments about what being at that stage in the process (i.e. first semester in the lab, semester researching abroad, starting my master's) meant to my interst in research. I'm not sure if there is a "right" way, but that seemed to work for me.

The neuronix general format (1-2 paragraphs per lab depending on how long you were in the lab and how in depth you want to go)

1-2 sentences on what the lab does, who your PI was, and what your project was investigating towards what disease or process
1-2 sentences on what you did and the techniques you used
1-2 sentences on what you get out of it objectively and/or subjectively
1-2 sentences on future directions of the work

Reactions: 3 users