Signing Bonus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zback

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the "standard" signing bonus for a physician fresh out of residency working for a hospital in a rural area?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no " standard" to the Sign On Bonus. The average range for FM is $5,000 to $10,000. But there are definately those who get more. A fellow resident who graduated with me had a Sign On Bonus of $75,000!!! That is the highest I ever heard, and it is definately an anomaly.

I've had signing bonus ranged from 10K-20K in the rural setting. However, they take taxes out before they give you the money. Also, usually if you quit before a certain amount of time (I haven't stayed at any job more than 4 months) you may have to pay it back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless it's a pittance, "signing bonus" = "loan," with payback if you leave too soon. Always read the fine print.

The exception, of course, is if you're working for *****s. In that case, be afraid. Be very afraid.

Unless it's a pittance, "signing bonus" = "loan," with payback if you leave too soon. Always read the fine print.

The exception, of course, is if you're working for *****s. In that case, be afraid. Be very afraid.

Well said, Blue Dog. Learned that the hard way. I seem to have always come up with the ***** running establishments which is why I'm better off as locums.