Silly flight/traveling questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty one

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we allowed to bring disposable razors onboard? Umbrellas?

Also, if I bring my suit in one of those long plastic "sleeves," is there like a closet or something I can store that in on the plane, or will it have to be checked in like luggage, or can I even just hold onto it?

I haven't been on a plane in about 13 years so I don't know what's what. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

yes to umbrellas and razors (even your regular one, just not a blade i think).
most airlines will hang your suit for you in the first class cabin, though some may require you to place it in the carry-on bin above you.

good luck on the interview.

qwerty one said:
Are we allowed to bring disposable razors onboard? Umbrellas?

I dont think so on the razors. My friend had hers confiscated along with cuticle scissors. Yep, cuticle scissors. It probably depends on the airport. Pretty much anything gets through Logan (ironic, I know), but others are more strict.

Members don't see this ad :)
Razors, cuticle scissors, and umbrellas are permitted. Contact your airline about the suit bag. Transportation Security Administration <--- Click for a link to a list of permitted/prohibited items in .pdf format.

On international flights they're a little harsher about this stuff. They don't like cuticle scissors and stuff like that, but I've never had a problem with disposable razors.

cutilcle scissors are NOT permitted. my mom gets stopped every single time. once they found 5 pairs of scissors that she didn't even know she had, including ones that looked like they couldn't even cut paper and they took them from her.

they also once took a statue she brought back for someone as a gift. on the x ray machine it looked like a large sling shot or something so they hand checked all her bags but finally let her go thru with that.

UseUrHeadFred said:
On international flights they're a little harsher about this stuff. They don't like cuticle scissors and stuff like that, but I've never had a problem with disposable razors.

and don't take a plastic knife to butter your sandwich, they'll take that away too.

btw, some US airlines don't like the cutilce scissors either

Psycho Doctor said:
and don't take a plastic knife to butter your sandwich, they'll take that away too.

btw, some US airlines don't like the cutilce scissors either

If they've taken this things away from your Mom, they did so against their own policies. They specifically allow cuticle cutters, round-tipped scissors, and butter knives. Go to the website I posted above and print out the list. Take it with you to the airport. This list is from the government agency which actually makes and enforces the rules. The horses mouth as it were.

canjosh said:
If they've taken this things away from your Mom, they did so against their own policies. They specifically allow cuticle cutters, round-tipped scissors, and butter knives. Go to the website I posted above and print out the list. Take it with you to the airport. This list is from the government agency which actually makes and enforces the rules. The horses mouth as it were.

I am referring specifically to carry on luggage. Whenever I travel, I generally ONLY take carry-on.

"Cuticle cutters" and "cuticle scissors" are separate items.

According to the link you posted, while cuticle cutters are allowed, cuticle scissors - that is, "scissors - metal with pointed tips", are not allowed in carry-on luggage.

See attachments.

Attachments

• cuticlecutters.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 134
  • cuticlescissors.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 145
Thanks for the clarification. :cool:

When booking flights, the best time to do so is right after 2am EST, as this is the time that most airlines remove any reservations that were placed on "Hold" and not paid for. This increases the pool of available tickets and drops the prices. As such, the worst time to book is from about 6pm to 2am as the supply of tickets goes down and prices go up. The only exception is Southwest, as you can't place seats on hold.

i got my tweezers taken away when i flew threw LAX 2 yrs ago :eek:

As far as your suit goes, you might want to invest in a roller carry-on bag with a "suiter", which is like a garment bag with a semi-stiff back that you can fold in three and place in the suitcase without your suit's getting wrinkled. Wal-mart has them for ~$40, and I found mine at Sam's Club for $29.

Hanging your suit in first-class is also an option, as someone else mentioned. Ask the flight attendent.

I have heard of people having their tweezers confiscated, but I have never been bothered.

It depends on the airport, not the airline, so you could have a problem coming home but not going there or vice versa.

:luck: