Silly question about procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VenusinFurs

I am tired, I am weary
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a place that lists the number of times you have to do a procedure in order to be competent to practice it, or is it just magic?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a place that lists the number of times you have to do a procedure in order to be competent to practice it, or is it just magic?

Many times it comes down to the bylaws of the particular facility you practice at. What they require. If you learned a particular procedure in residency, like EGD, you may have to pre proctored by someone at that facility for so many procedures to ensure you are safe for the patient.

Our residency program kept a binder of all the "important" procedures that they expected a resident to learn and they would sign-off saying you were competent to perform the procedure independently. We could then show this list to the hospital we went to, in addition to a tally of the # of each procedure we did during residency. This was important if you wanted to get permission to do things like OB deliveries and circumcisions...not as important for something like a joint injection or skin biopsy. Even so, I know my new dept of fam med "shadows" our new attendings for their first several deliveries and circumcisions so they can also sign off on the new attending.