Simple genetics question (TPRH SW Passage 6)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Xeroderma pigmentosum is a recessive skin condition that can lead to cancer at an early age. A woman homozygous for the dominant gene and a homozygous man with the condition wish to have a child. What is the probability that the child will get xeroderma pigmentosum?

A. 0%
B. 25%
C. 50%
D. Cannot be determined

Answer is A.

I have a feeling that this is super simple but the explanation makes absolutely no sense at all. Could someone walk me through this, preferrably with a Punnet square? The solution says something about the disease being caused by a recessive trait. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The father is homozygous for the dominant allele which is not the defective one. The mother is homozygous for the recessive, defective trait.

P P
p Pp Pp
p Pp Pp

So each child is heterozygous, carrier who do Not have the condition.

The father is homozygous for the dominant allele which is not the defective one. The mother is homozygous for the recessive, defective trait.

P P
p Pp Pp
p Pp Pp

So each child is heterozygous, carrier who do Not have the condition.

Thank you, that is dead simple and makes perfect sense. My brain is fried because I re-read the question a half dozen times and couldn't figure it out. :laugh:

Thank you, that is dead simple and makes perfect sense. My brain is fried because I re-read the question a half dozen times and couldn't figure it out. :laugh:

It happens. I was doing electric fields and couldn't even get the right hand rule for electron right w/ respect to a Lenz law passage.