Since when are all the January test dates filled?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftjab

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One month ago??!!

Members don't see this ad.

I AM SO CONFUSED! Can anyone tell me what's going on? I get that December test seats are getting filled, but why is there so much availability for November 7th now?? Are people shifting over or something?

I AM SO CONFUSED! Can anyone tell me what's going on? I get that December test seats are getting filled, but why is there so much availability for November 7th now?? Are people shifting over or something?

Its a mix of both, people shifting and AAMC holding back and releasing seats later...vicious game....all about the Benjamin's if you ask me...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang that was stressful. Switched from Guam to Kearney, Nebraska since that's all that was left, but then realized it was a $550 flight there. So I dished out another $65 to go to BC Canada since the flight was $300 cheaper. Wheeeeeew

Still no availability for Jan seats. AAMC said they will be opening up limited seats Nov-Jan in certain regions..no idea when that will happen. I thought about switching to Dec but I'm going to just suck it up and take it at the end of this month then try to get a seat in Dec or Jan for a retake.

Jeez so glad I registered 2 days after taking my MCAT, i'm in canada, you guys should check those seats out as well, a lot of areas in Canada are pretty close to the states.

Jeez so glad I registered 2 days after taking my MCAT, i'm in canada, you guys should check those seats out as well, a lot of areas in Canada are pretty close to the states.

Where in Canada are you writing? I signed up for a seat in Victoria (Camosun College) - have you heard anything about the testing site?

Where in Canada are you writing? I signed up for a seat in Victoria (Camosun College) - have you heard anything about the testing site?

haha thats where i'm writing too. haven't heard anything about it, my friend wrote there I believe last year I should ask them, but i know i have to take a ferry to get there because victoria is on an island.

Ugh I almost had a seat in Boston but someone snagged it so fast. This is such a bummer

Members don't see this ad :)
I was signed up for MCAT 1/8/15 in London. I just switched to MCAT 1/15 in Louisville KY. Saved me thousands. Are people still having problems with finding January seats in the U.S.?

If you check the AAMC twitter account, it says they will be opening more seats for Nov-Jan dates in a few weeks in high volume areas. That's great but I'm still a bit worried because I signed up for a Dec MCAT across the country and haven't bought my plane ticket yet because I'm hoping they'll release spots in my area and I can switch. But if I don't end up getting a seat, then plane tickets will become even more expensive by then.

I feel like this is really screwing a lot of us over financially. Not to mention I could be studying instead of spending all that time that I keep checking the site for someone to drop a seat. They really need to step it up and make an alert system in which you plug in your desired state/location and test date and it emails or texts you when a seat opens up. I mean, that seems pretty simple...

What a mess.

Exactly, it's such a huge financial drain. I'm hoping they open spots in January, but I'm worried that if I don't sign up for the December test I'll lose that spot as well. How much does it cost to switch test dates? I think I'll be able to improve my score by at least 2 points (which is what I needed last time), but I don't want the stress of having to write it during the exam period AND have to quit my job to have adequate time to prep for it as I haven't looked at the material in nearly 2 months. I don't know what to do.

Yep, it costs money to switch seats OR dates, which sucks. $65 if you are more than a month out from your current date, $125 if less than a month. If you look at the MCAT Essentials pdf, it talks about rescheduling or cancelling in more detail (though to be honest I think the stupid bronze/silver/gold labels are a bit confusing).

@R20R - sorry, that's a really tough situation. Similar to my dilemma before they opened the December dates. I would sign up for a December date if I were you because they are filling up fast. There were only 11 states and a few provinces left when I checked about an hour ago. They will be opening up more seats but that's also a gamble. It may or may not be worth the $65 - $125 switching fee. Then again, I'm not sure how it'd work with your work schedule. I feel pressed for time and I'm only taking 2 classes this semester + MCAT studying. This whole situation seems to be a crapshoot.

If you do wait for more January seats to open up (or even if not), I would make a twitter account if you don't already have one and sign up for twitter notifications from AAMC_MCAT. That way when they announce that they've opened seats up, you get that notification asap.

Last edited:
If you do wait for more January seats to open up (or even if not), I would make a twitter account if you don't already have one and sign up for twitter notifications from AAMC_MCAT. That way when they announce that they've opened seats up, you get that notification asap.

Thank you for this advice! I signed up for twitter notifications from AAMC_MCAT. It started flooding my inbox when they were replying randomly but it worked and I got a test date for January in my city at the date I wanted! So if anyone is still looking, I'd recommend trying this.

Just some hope to those retaking...Aamc tweeted they will be adding more January seats and to keep checking their twitter for updates . Best of luck , I heard people are also selling seats for absurd prices ...insane ....

Thank you for this advice! I signed up for twitter notifications from AAMC_MCAT. It started flooding my inbox when they were replying randomly but it worked and I got a test date for January in my city at the date I wanted! So if anyone is still looking, I'd recommend trying this.

Awesome!! I'm so glad it worked out for you! :)

Do you guys think it is possible to find seats in whatever country (Yes, even Guam if I had to) after Dec. 6? I am registered to take the MCAT on Dec. 6 and want to retake it in Jan., just in case, if it is even possible.

Yes it is possible! You just have to keep checking constantly. I've been checking the website throughout the day :pompous: and just snatched a spot for Jan mcat in my city last night (I got the spot around midnight if that helps)!!

Yes it is possible! You just have to keep checking constantly. I've been checking the website throughout the day :pompous: and just snatched a spot for Jan mcat in my city last night (I got the spot around midnight if that helps)!!
Thanks! Yeah that gives me some hope. It's just I don't know how likely it is that someone will change/give up their seats in January by December...

I found a seat in TN, but my boyfriend had 4 windows open on auto refresh to find a seat, so it does take diligence.

Supposedly AAMC will be adding more seats in upcoming weeks. (according to twitter) I really hope so bc I live in Arizona and Tennessee is a 400$ plane flight away, so I am still on the look out, too. My thinking was buy the seat just to have it.... No one wants to take the new version, or doesn't want to wait till April to test.

I found a seat in TN, but my boyfriend had 4 windows open on auto refresh to find a seat, so it does take diligence.

Supposedly AAMC will be adding more seats in upcoming weeks. (according to twitter) I really hope so bc I live in Arizona and Tennessee is a 400$ plane flight away, so I am still on the look out, too. My thinking was buy the seat just to have it.... No one wants to take the new version, or doesn't want to wait till April to test.

Talk to me about auto refresh....how does that work? I've never heard of it. I keep checking so many times per day and it's getting tedious and time consuming.

There appears to be a New Jersey spot open for January 13

EDIT: Wow, that was gone in 5 seconds -___-

Dang....I'm on the opposite side of the boat. I live in TN and would die to have a spot here... -__- guess I'm gonna have to keep refreshing haha