single and moving cross country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkaz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not moving too far away for residency, but I did move cross-country for med school. I packed my car up with whatever I could fit (consequently leaving a lot of stuff at home with my mom), and then drove 3 days to get to my new residence. When I arrived, my roommate and I hopped back in my car and drove to IKEA to get me room furniture. Worked out okay for me, but I had that in my budget at the time. Now it would be challenging to leave most of my stuff behind and move. However, a lot of our fourth years end up selling their furniture and moving everything else. There are a variety of ways to do it--from shipping stuff via Amtrack to getting a pod to pack your stuff into. Look around to see what's available in your area and go from there.

As far as meeting new people--you're probably not going to have a lot of free time once residency starts, so I'd focus on getting to know the other people in your program. Eventually, you'll meet others--in other residency programs at your hospital, staff, friends of co-residents, people who live in your building, etc. I wouldn't worry about not knowing people when you first move. But by all means, if you really want outside friends, find a group of people with a similar interest and hang out.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the reassurance about meeting others. :thumbup: I've never heard about shipping via Amtrak, but I will certainly look into this as an option.

I'm moving about 20 hours away--taking all my clothes, tv, and desk stuff and any other stuff that can fit in my SUV. Everything else is either getting sold or stored at my folks home and im going to buy new furniture in my new city. Hopefully i can find some nice stuff in my budget.

Reactions: 1 user
Best wishes to both of us! :)

I am definitely nervous about moving cross country. I'm married and we have nice furniture (ie NOT selling it). In a couple months we are moving to a new city 4 hours away, then next June will be moving 20 hours away... somehow with all of our furniture and 2 dogs. I checked out something called UPack, which seems like a better deal than a full service moving company. Good luck to all of us making cross country drives!

Reactions: 1 users
I know this is an old thread, but I am also moving across country (sort of), but I plan on just filling up my car and driving it. I am probably just going to look into buying some local furniture in Craigslist. I don't need much since I'm single.

Its kind of lonely being away from all your family and friends though. I was fortunate to be in the same area as them for med school. Hopefully I'll be with a close knit bunch during residency to help make up for that void.

Just adding to this post, but I was wondering if you guys recommend setting up a skype session with the other candidates so we can all chat before we move to town? A couple of the residents are still waiting for their Visa's so that's why I was asking. or does it seem too weird?

Just adding to this post, but I was wondering if you guys recommend setting up a skype session with the other candidates so we can all chat before we move to town? A couple of the residents are still waiting for their Visa's so that's why I was asking. or does it seem too weird?
You could probably do the same thing but with email.

It doesn't hurt to offer the option of Skype but what most people do (if anything) is connect via email and then arrange to meet once they arrive in town and start residency orientation.

You could probably do the same thing but with email.

It doesn't hurt to offer the option of Skype but what most people do (if anything) is connect via email and then arrange to meet once they arrive in town and start residency orientation.

Thanks yeah I think were gonna do that. We'll all meet, just waiting for everyone to get their visas taken care of.

Leaving my dad is going to be hard :( He's been my emotional rock and I think about him as he gets older. I have to help him manage his health.

But I just keep on looking on the positives that even if I was in the same state as my parents, they wouldn't see me as intern year is rough.