single?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So how are you entering med school?

• Married

Votes: 39 11.4%
  • Dating, but so serious might as well be married (long distance or otherwise)

Votes: 69 20.2%
  • Casual dating, I'm still having fun!

Votes: 43 12.6%
  • Hoping to possibly find a future spouse when in med school (not necessarily another med student)

Votes: 140 40.9%
  • Single but not looking. My eyes are on that MD diploma!

Votes: 50 14.6%

• Total voters

MedChic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just wondering...if I were to enter med school as a single gal how many other singletons will be joining me vs. how many of you are in relationships?

Members don't see this ad.

[thread derail]

What is "casual dating"? I hear people talking about this all the time, and really, I just don't get it. I mean, I know it obviously means you're "seeing/dating" a bunch of people at the same time, but how does that even work? Do the other people know that you're seeing other people? I tend to only be interested in one person at a time -- or would only allow myself to date people I could see myself in a longer relationship with -- so this relationship juggling thing really confuses me. Casual dating always sort of seems as though people are trying to catapault their way into a relationship just to avoid being alone. *puts on flame suit*

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.TobiasFünke said:
It's not the norm but it's fairly common. My wife and I are actually in an open marrage right now.
Tobias, can you put your wife in touch with me then? :laugh: Just kidding.....

I'm single, and while I have gone out with a few girls, I have yet to go out with anyone over the past few months since becoming single that really catches my attention and holds it. There are a couple I haven't technically gone out with (just that I know as friends) that I might see as long term relationship material, but nothing is definite at this point.

Severus said:
[thread derail]

What is "casual dating"? I hear people talking about this all the time, and really, I just don't get it. I mean, I know it obviously means you're "seeing/dating" a bunch of people at the same time, but how does that even work? Do the other people know that you're seeing other people? I tend to only be interested in one person at a time -- or would only allow myself to date people I could see myself in a longer relationship with -- so this relationship juggling thing really confuses me. Casual dating always sort of seems as though people are trying to catapault their way into a relationship just to avoid being alone. *puts on flame suit*
I think you understand it just fine. Casual dating refers to [often superficial] dating of more than one person at a time. It's pretty tacky to let one person know that you are dating others. Think of it as having lots of first/second/third dates with different people. Obviously a responsible person doesn't carry things beyond a superficial level with more than one person. It's kind of a step in between friends and a dedicated relationship. It is very common once you get out of school (i.e. the real world) where you don't spend a lot of time with people you may be interested in and don't get to know them really well before going out on a first date.

RE This poll: I am married now, so no more casual dating for me (in medical school or otherwise.)

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
It's not the norm but it's fairly common. My wife and I are actually in an open marrage right now.

i think it's hilarious how so many of these threads fit in with your arrested development persona... :D

you should add a choice that saids
I've been single because im an ugly premed

Hehe...those numbers for "looking for someone in medical school" are promising! >) Anyone else feeling a little "desperate?" Don't get me wrong, I don't really care if I'm single the rest of my life...it's just that if I AM going to find someone, it seems like time is running out. I didn't find someone in high school, college, and now medical school is really the last step before "the real world." I feel that if I can't find someone when I'm surrounded by people my age, what are the chances I'm going to find someone once I'm working full time with people of all ages?

Hoping to possibly find a future spouse when in med school (not necessarily another med student)

AND

Single but not looking. My eyes are on that MD diploma!

ARE BOTH TRUE FOR ME.

I don't want to date as an undergraduate, but maybe as a senior, that would be cool...I need to focus and my culture definitely is against dating...so I'll wait to get serious senior year UG or above. :love:

Well yes, Im dating.

But man check this out....

My GF and I for about 2 years, but Im not ready for marriage. She brought it up and Ive been kinda freaking out recently. I want to meet people in Med school and get my life going. Shes getting Hella clingy. I get this wierd feeling like she knows Im gonna be a doctor so she doesnt care what she does in life. That is so unattractive. Leaching girls suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
njcaldwell said:
I get this wierd feeling like she knows Im gonna be a doctor so she doesnt care what she does in life.

wow man, that's messed up.

MedChic said:
So I was just wondering...if I were to enter med school as a single gal how many other singletons will be joining me vs. how many of you are in relationships?

Rachael07 said:
I'm single and can't wait for the fresh meat that awaits me at med school! :laugh:

Hi, how you doing? ;)

njcaldwell said:
I get Paid by the Goverment 9-5 to sit at a computer and surf the net doing whatever I want. My job is to look busy. Goverment Blows.
Lol, my mother works for the Department of Transportation; her biggest complaint is that she has nothing to do all day long. She's running out of movies to watch, and has started doing digital scrapbooking instead ;).

njcaldwell said:
I get this wierd feeling like she knows Im gonna be a doctor so she doesnt care what she does in life. That is so unattractive. Leaching girls suck.
I can feel your pain on this, but if she wasn't leachy at all wouldn't you feel a little less "needed?" It's finding just the right balance that is truly difficult, for both sexes!

Dr.TobiasFünke said:

how did you land that hot of a wife by the way? i would be willing to pay for lessons.

Maybe I worded that all wrong, I just get this huge vibe from her that she doesnt want to work. And likes that Im going to med school.... I dunno its wierd. Im not as big an a hole as I guess that post made me sound.

njcaldwell said:
Well yes, Im dating.

But man check this out....

My GF and I for about 2 years, but Im not ready for marriage. She brought it up and Ive been kinda freaking out recently. I want to meet people in Med school and get my life going. Shes getting Hella clingy. I get this wierd feeling like she knows Im gonna be a doctor so she doesnt care what she does in life. That is so unattractive. Leaching girls suck.

Ugh dude, that is messed up on so many levels.

I dont understand what is messed up with that at ALL. explain this one to me.
I feel used. Like a anna nicole smith and that old rich dude.

njcaldwell said:
I dont understand what is messed up with that at ALL. explain this one to me.
I feel used. Like a anna nicole smith and that old rich dude.

No no no no.. I'm not saying how you're feeling is messed up. I'm saying that what she's doing -- all the leechy-ness -- is annoying as hell and entirely unattractive.

Man, I just don't understand the "find me a suggah' daddy" mentality at all.

Rachael07 said:
I'm single and can't wait for the fresh meat that awaits me at med school! :laugh:

i can't wait for you either rachael, if that really is your face on your avatar.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
My wife and I are actually in an open marrage right now.
Yeah, but does she know that? :rolleyes:

rajad10 said:
i can't wait for you either rachael, if that really is your face on your avatar.

its me, that would be really dumb if i had a fake avatar--

msg. me for my myspace link

Hahaha. "Hot or Not at Student Doctor Forums"

undrop your jaws :eek:

MedChic and Rachael are probably 2 of the hottest women on SDN, just judging from their avatars. I'm sure that those two ladies will not be staying single for long in med school.

I'd ask either one of them out.

defrunner said:
MedChic and Rachael are probably 2 of the hottest women on SDN, just judging from their avatars. I'm sure that those two ladies will not be staying single for long in med school.

I'd ask either one of them out.
haha thanks, but I hate to dissapoint you that medchic's avatar is the girl from the tv show,Scrubs...but medchic might be just as hot if not hotter than the scrubs girl...

Haha thanks for letting me know. The irony is that I'm applying to med school and I've never seen any of these types of TV shows, even ER... I'm not sure why, but I'm just not interested in them. It's similar to my uncle being a cop and him hating cop shows, especially CSI (not realistic or anything).

By the way, you're very photogenic; no wonder you have a real picture of yourself as your avatar. I've no doubt that you'll be just fine in med school when it comes to dating.

bretticus said:

Yeah for real man, that's pretty cold haha.

I'm sure that Taylor was just playing around though.

Single. All the women I'm interested in are in their 40s, so I'm probably out of luck for the next 20 years.

Rachael07 said:
haha thanks, but I hate to dissapoint you that medchic's avatar is the girl from the tv show,Scrubs...but medchic might be just as hot if not hotter than the scrubs girl...

Well, that would just make you the hottest girl on SDN wouldn't it?

CTtarheel said:
Well, that would just make you the hottest girl on SDN wouldn't it?

no, i'm not cocky, there must be some better looking girls..

but I do enjoy the compliments ;)

Rachael07 said:

Cute, smart, single and Jewish....what more could a guy ask for ;)

Rachael07 said:

this is true.
unfortunately i do not feel secure enough to reveal my identity just yet. you never know how many adcoms/advisors are out there reading my whiny complaints about how much i hate certain subjects....

maybe once i'm in, my paranoia will recede a lil' and i'll share.....but that's a whole new ball game

don't worry it's worth it ;)

Rachael07 said:

yes, you are gorgeous...but i have to say, im slightly disappointed that you have paris hilton's song on myspace. whyyyyyyyyyyy :confused:

Erina said:
yes, you are gorgeous...but i have to say, im slightly disappointed that you have paris hilton's song on myspace. whyyyyyyyyyyy :confused:

Paris Hilton has a song?
A song with music in it?

That's terrible.

Erina said:
Yeah, I have to agree... Paris Hilton? Bleh.

i saw/heard paris hilton singing happy birthday to hugh heffner on that "girls next door" show and i almost cried. it was so painful.

taylormade44 said:
wheres the "in a serious relationship but wishing i wasnt" option?

:laugh: Oh, gosh. If you're not married, and you feel like running, just motherf-ing do it. Trust me. There are plenty more guys/girls to hit it with.

And you all look so hot in scrubs. :thumbup:

Erina said:
i saw/heard paris hilton singing happy birthday to hugh heffner on that "girls next door" show and i almost cried. it was so painful.

really? did she remember all the words?

it's a hard song.

Oculus Sinistra said:
really? did she remember all the words?

it's a hard song.
i think she got the words but she was trying to do the sexy marilyn monroe voice and her voice cracked. totally ruined the moment. she thought people were cheering for her when she was done, but i think they were just cheering about the fact that they didn't have to cover their ears anymore. i think she was put on this planet to give us all a good laugh. i haven't seen any other use for her yet...

haha well its temporary...i hate that i like that song, and I had requests to change it from the long-lasting "hips don't lie"...i'll look for a new song just for you guys!! :D

got it--sexyback by justin timberlake

jota_jota said:
I think you understand it just fine. Casual dating refers to [often superficial] dating of more than one person at a time. It's pretty tacky to let one person know that you are dating others. Think of it as having lots of first/second/third dates with different people. Obviously a responsible person doesn't carry things beyond a superficial level with more than one person. It's kind of a step in between friends and a dedicated relationship. It is very common once you get out of school (i.e. the real world) where you don't spend a lot of time with people you may be interested in and don't get to know them really well before going out on a first date.

RE This poll: I am married now, so no more casual dating for me (in medical school or otherwise.)
Oh then I answered this poll incorrectly. I only ever date one person at a time but I'm not in a serious relationship now as it's pretty new. I didn't see a choice for that so I chose "casual dating". I'm not really looking for marriage right now.

Erina said:
i think she got the words but she was trying to do the sexy marilyn monroe voice and her voice cracked. totally ruined the moment. she thought people were cheering for her when she was done, but i think they were just cheering about the fact that they didn't have to cover their ears anymore. i think she was put on this planet to give us all a good laugh. i haven't seen any other use for her yet...

Her purpose is to carry that dog.

Otherwise the dog would have to walk all by itself.

And we all know that evolution has selected for higher forms of dog that are cuter so they have to walk less.

Oculus Sinistra said:
Her purpose is to carry that dog.

Otherwise the dog would have to walk all by itself.

And we all know that evolution has selected for higher forms of dog that are cuter so they have to walk less.
oh. mystery solved!