SIR Student Membership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

werewethere

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in interventional radiology? Attached is a brief form that entitles the applicant to a free year membership to SIR, which includes a no cost registration for the March 2011 meeting in Chicago.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• STUDENT_APPLICATION.pdf
    33.9 KB · Views: 104
Membership was $12.50 (prorated to last month) when I joined.
Meeting registration is free though if you are a medical student member. $30 if you are a non-member medical student.

Note the word "complimentary" on the application form

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in Chicago for school and doing my ob/gyn rotation during the meeting and will not be able to be there for the entire meeting. Does anyone know if there are any lectures/events that are "should see" or "must go" for an MS3 to get a better idea for the field and advice for career planning?

I just sent my application in last week for the SIR membership and coughed up the 12.50. Oh well.

Here is a link to the daily program for anyone else interested in going:

http://www.sirmeeting.org/index.cfm?do=ev.pubEventGridByType&showByDay=all&cb=1168

I am in Chicago for school and doing my ob/gyn rotation during the meeting and will not be able to be there for the entire meeting. Does anyone know if there are any lectures/events that are "should see" or "must go" for an MS3 to get a better idea for the field and advice for career planning?

I just sent my application in last week for the SIR membership and coughed up the 12.50. Oh well.

Here is a link to the daily program for anyone else interested in going:

http://www.sirmeeting.org/index.cfm?do=ev.pubEventGridByType&showByDay=all&cb=1168

It's all good. To start with:
the student curriculum
the exhibit hall
case conferences
plenaries

We are pretty excited about the student curriculum and the SIR resident fellow section and I look forward to meeting the medical students and introducing you to IR.

Here is the exciting curriculum that Dr. Huffman RFS member has developed for the students.

G.Vatakencherry MD

Sunday, March 27, 2011

8:00 am - 9:30 am
Introduction/ Frontiers of IR
Coordinator/Moderator: George Vatakencherry, MD
Room 474A
McCormick Place (West Building)

9:30 am - 11:30 am
Medical Student Brunch
W186C

11:30 am - 12:00 pm
Tour of the Exhibit Hall

12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Lunch in the Exhibit Hall

1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Radiology Resident/Fellow Panel: Pathways to IR
Coordinator/Moderator: Steven Huffman, MD
Panel: Curtis L. Anderson MD/PhD (VIR Clinical Pathway), Driss Raissi, MD (Direct Pathway), Ryan Hickey, MD (Direct Pathway), Cuong H. Lam, MD, (Traditional Pathway)
Product Theater/Exhibit Hall

2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
Innovation in IR
Robert Ryu, MD (Radiology Residency Program Director, Northwestern Memorial Hospital)
Product Theatre/Exhibit Hall

4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Plenary Session
VTE: Opportunities for IR
Coordinators: John A. Kaufman, MD, FSIR
Suresh Vedantham, MD, FSIR
375 A/B

Thanks! I wanted to join, but was too cheap to cough up the cash. Now to find a way to get my school to pay for the travel expenses. I don't even think our residents/fellows our going :(

The med student events sound helpful!

Last edited:
Any med students that hang out in this forum going to the SIR meeting in Chicago? I really wanted to go, and the head honcho IR attending at my school said that anyone interested just needed to write their name down on a list and he would take care of the rest. Unfortunately, it is the last weekend before my Family Med shelf...... :(

Any med students that hang out in this forum going to the SIR meeting in Chicago?

Definitely. Plus, some of the students involved with SIR have been working on getting the word out to med students in Chicago and surrounding areas, so we're hoping for a good turnout.

We also heard some exciting news from SIR yesterday:

"I wanted to let you all know that we are going to open Sunday, March 27 as a free admission day for any medical student to attend the Annual Meeting. They will be able to participate in all of the sessions and visit the exhibit hall. Please spread the word!

Med Students will still have to register on-site to receive their badge for the one day pass, so we encourage for them to arrive at the convention center early, or even register at the convention center on Saturday to avoid the normal Sunday morning registration lines. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I will be working on an invitation and online form for medical students to RSVP if they are coming to the medical student brunch, so that we can plan accordingly."

So, if you can only make it out for Sunday or just want to learn more about IR without signing up for a membership just yet, this is a perfect option. We will post an update here as soon as we get further information about how to RSVP for Sunday's activities.

Overall, it's a great opportunity to learn about the field and meet others who are interested in IR! Hope to see you there!

Awesome 7Summits! Please, keep us posted.

Here is the link for free online registration. Hope to see a lot of you there!

http://www.tfaforms.com/195805

The Society of Interventional Radiology would like to invite you and all other medical students to attend the SIR Annual Scientific Meeting- the premier meeting dedicated to interventional radiology! The SIR 36th Annual Scientific Meeting will take place March 26-31, 2011 at the McCormick Place West in Chicago, IL.

One day registration to attend on Sunday, March 27, 2011 will be complimentary for all medical students. Please take a few moments to complete this form http://www.tfaforms.com/195805 to RSVP for the Medical Student Day and associated events. Also on this form are details on how to attend the entire meeting for $30 or for free (if you become a SIR medical student member).

The SIR Resident and Fellow Section has planned a medical student program that will allow you to learn all about interventional radiology as a medical specialty and as a career. To view the medical student programming planned for Sunday and Monday visit http://www.sirmeeting.org/index.cfm?do=cnt.page&pg=1129#medstudent

For more information, please contact SIR Education Assistant- Naomi Weygand at [email protected] or SIR Director of Membership and Marketing- Joy Gornal at [email protected] .

We hope to see you in Chicago!

I would love to attend, especially for the resident/fellow panel for the pathways to IR. We'll see, I'm only about 100 minutes up the road from Chicago.

So, just to sum up, there are 2 options for medical students wanting to get in on the SIR Annual meeting this year:

1. (FREE) –Register via http://www.tfaforms.com/195805 and you will be able to attend the events on Sunday, March 27 which are geared for medical students.

2. (FREE) – Register to become an SIR Medical Student member via the link for the complimentary membership form (found at the top of this thread) and you will be able to attend events/lectures/seminars during the entire meeting, from March 26-31.

Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you there!

Congratulations to all the fourth years on the Match! We're all really looking forward to SIR next week. It will be a great opportunity for an introduction to IR, as well as meeting current residents/fellows and networking. Hope to see a lot of you there!