Sister transfering from community college....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaxEarplugsFTW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my sister has completed the basic course requirements for ODU/VCU/etc.
Her GPA is a 3.4.

What confuses me is that there's two things you have to get into?
Apparantly, first you have to get into the university itself, which has a SET minimum GPA. ODU is 2.5 and VCU is 3.0.
THEN, here's what confuses me. You have to get into the program itself?
I don't understand the logic here. How can you get into a university but get rejected by the program.
I mean, what will you be doing there? Taking classes on how to take out the trash?
I assume university courses depend on whether or not you are in the program so if you have all your gen eds out of the way, what the heck are you supposed to do if you don't get into the program?

ODU says their nursing transfer GPA is a 3.8 (over the phone). I call BS.
Even to get into UVA and Berkley as a transfer, the GPA is only a 3.6. You're telling me, it is harder to get into the Nursing program at ODU, than to get into Berkeley (without factoring in programs but even so?!). It makes no relative sense!

So. The question is, can she get into the nursing program at ODU with a 3.4 GPA? I'm thinking the admissions office made a mistake.

Members don't see this ad.

Certain UG degrees are programs, not mere majors or fields of study like Biology or Chemistry. Nursing programs are one such thing. It's easy to understand at the graduate level, for exam, getting into a PhD program in anatomy and cell biology at X Univ.

There are UG programs in PA (the profession, not the state), and PT as well.

its not uncommon to apply to a program separately from the university its in, for example the engineering program at my school does thia

Members don't see this ad :)
Some programs, particularly those that have clinical rotations, are limited in size by the number of students who can be accommodated in the clinical settings. Accrediting bodies often control the size of the class based on the number of clinical affiliates and the capacity of the clinical affiliates to provide robust experiences for the students. If you are to have the experience of being a circulating nurse in the OR you should be doing that job and not sitting in the gallery watching another student do it and never having your own turn.

Some degree programs may not fill up and so a student meeting the minimum GPA for the university could be admitted to major in communications or French or history and have a seat whereas there may not be a slot in a program that is limited by slots in labs or student teaching or clinical settings.

It may be very hard to get into clinical programs as a transfer (thus the high required GPA) because the program is filled with incoming freshmen most of whom stay through to the end meaning that it is rare to have a slot for a transfer student and if there is such a slot it is going to go to a superstar applicant.

Sounds like they really just don't want transfers there. I don't think they made a mistake.

My niece applied to Iowa and was accepted. She applied to the nursing program 4 times and was rejected 4 times. She graduated with a degree in Health Sciences. So I doubt the admissions office made a mistake with the info they gave you and if their cut off is 3.8 for acceptance into the nursing program I doubt your sister's 3.4 will make the admissions cut.