Sisterlocks (manicured, tiny dreadlocks) in the medical profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkalim

Figuring things out...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an HONEST question that I genuinely need help with. I need to make a decision soon because I have an appointment next month to get it done.

Hi all,

I am a black female that will soon be transferring to the University of Minnesota to major in Neuroscience. I want to wear my hair in Sisterlocks, but I am afraid that this hairstyle may not fit into the medical profession. I intend to earn an MD/PhD and be a physician scientist. I would like to earn my MD in Europe (UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, or Switzerland), and my PhD in Europe as well. If I were to get sisterlocks, I would keep them a neutral color (my own natural hair color--dark brown), and keep them very neat and clean. The reason I would like to loc my hair is because my hair is virtually unmanageable in its present state, and I can't relax my hair or wear weaves because I am allergic to the chemicals in the relaxer (already tried it) and weaves thin my hairline out considerably (already tried it). Basically, sisterlocks look like small braids. There are some pictures below.

Do you think it would be unwise of me to wear my hair in Sisterlocks, considering that I want to be in the medical profession as an MD/PhD, and primarily practice/do research in the UK/Scandinavia/etc? I carry myself very well, and I speak with a "proper" accent.

sisterlocks-picture.jpg

Rinse5.JPG

long-sisterlocks.jpg

cuz1.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

This is an HONEST question that I genuinely need help with. I need to make a decision soon because I have an appointment next month to get it done.

Hi all,

I am a black female that will soon be transferring to the University of Minnesota to major in Neuroscience. I want to wear my hair in Sisterlocks, but I am afraid that this hairstyle may not fit into the medical profession. I intend to earn an MD/PhD and be a physician scientist. I would like to earn my MD in Europe (UK, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, or Switzerland), and my PhD in Europe as well. If I were to get sisterlocks, I would keep them a neutral color (my own natural hair color--dark brown), and keep them very neat and clean. The reason I would like to loc my hair is because my hair is virtually unmanageable in its present state, and I can't relax my hair or wear weaves because I am allergic to the chemicals in the relaxer (already tried it) and weaves thin my hairline out considerably (already tried it). Basically, sisterlocks look like small braids. There are some pictures below.

Do you think it would be unwise of me to wear my hair in Sisterlocks, considering that I want to be in the medical profession as an MD/PhD, and primarily practice/do research in the UK/Scandinavia/etc? I carry myself very well, and I speak with a "proper" accent.

sisterlocks-picture.jpg

Rinse5.JPG

long-sisterlocks.jpg

cuz1.jpg

OK... You are still an undergrad, your hair is the least of your worries right now if you truly wish to follow your ambitions...(and man are you ambitious :D)

That being said, how you expect a forum comprised mainly of Americans living in America to comment on if your choice of hairstyle will be considered professional in Europe is beyond me.

As to that bit about speaking proper English and carrying yourself well, that is quite beside the point.

Relax. Wear your hair however you want now. Focus on getting good grades and acquiring the experiences in your undergrad career which will help you in the future.

I am a black girl myself and I wear my hair in an afro or braids, in case you wondered.

One of the girls I know in college wears her hair like that, and she's now an MS1 at a Texas med school. As far as I know, no one has ever commented.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK... You are still an undergrad, your hair is the least of your worries right now if you truly wish to follow your ambitions...(and man are you ambitious :D)

That being said, how you expect a forum comprised mainly of Americans living in America to comment on if your choice of hairstyle will be considered professional in Europe is beyond me.

As to that bit about speaking proper English and carrying yourself well, that is quite beside the point.

Relax. Wear your hair however you want now. Focus on getting good grades and acquiring the experiences in your undergrad career which will help you in the future.

I am a black girl myself and I wear my hair in an afro or braids, in case you wondered.

Well I only have two years to go until medical school interviews, so I have to start worrying about it now if I'm gonna lock my hair :(

And I know this is a forum mainly comprised of Americans living in America, but this is the best I can do...I'm not aware of an SDN European-style...is there one? Other than the International forum. And I can't cross-post, so...

One of the girls I know in college wears her hair like that, and she's now an MS1 at a Texas med school. As far as I know, no one has ever commented.

Do you know if she had the hairstyle when she went through med school interviews as well?

Wow. I haven't even been a member for a year and SDN is starting to become extremely repetitive for me.

Well I only have two years to go until medical school interviews, so I have to start worrying about it now if I'm gonna lock my hair :(

And I know this is a forum mainly comprised of Americans living in America, but this is the best I can do...I'm not aware of an SDN European-style...is there one? Other than the International forum. And I can't cross-post, so...

Do you know if she had the hairstyle when she went through med school interviews as well?

Read through this thread. That should give you a pretty clear idea of how people on SDN feel about locks with regards to med school interviews IN THE UNITED STATES

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13018729

I believe the general consensus is that they be neat. I do not intend to relax my hair or wear a weave or a wig if i get interviews.

I grew up aroundquite a few Europeans and I have family in Europe. They generally tend to be a little less conservative than Americans but I know nothing about their medical system.

Side note: I really hope I didn't offend anyone when I said I speak proper and carry myself well. I'm not insinuating that people with dreadlocks usually don't. But growing up with friends and family that wore locs, I realized through my experiences that a lot of people think that this is the case. That all loc wearers are "ghettofied," uncivilized, and uneducated. I just wanted to clear up the fact that I'm not before anyone could even say anything, because I know how people can get on this forum sometimes with their assumptions...

One of my classmates had them all through med school and still has them as an intern. It's a non-issue.

Read through this thread. That should give you a pretty clear idea of how people on SDN feel about locks with regards to med school interviews.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13018729

I believe the general consensus is that they be neat. I do not intend to relax my hair or wear a weave or a wig if i get interviews.

I grew up aroundquite a few Europeans and I have family in Europe. They generally tend to be a little less conservative than Americans but I know nothing about their medical system.

Yeah, I used the search feature and read most of the posts on locs in the medical profession here on SDN. But there were no posts about Sisterlocks in particular. Those were very helpful posts as well though.

Yeah, I used the search feature and read most of the posts on locs in the medical profession here on SDN. But there were no posts about Sisterlocks in particular. Those were very helpful posts as well though.

I am willing to bet all my worldly possessions that the average American does not know what "sisterlocks" are. :D Don't sweat it.

Keep it clean, keep it professional, be willing to bend if it came down to it and you should be fine.

Peace

I'm just going to go out on a limb here (I'm American and have only visited Europe), but a lot of the countries you want to study in have small African American populations (UK and the Netherlands aside). I highly doubt any of them would question the hairstyle of an American black in their country. Not to mention, the Netherlands has legalized pot, prostitution and euthanasia. I doubt they're weeding out candidates on hairstyles.

Even in America though, "sisterlocks" seem professional enough for women with the type of hair you have.

I am willing to bet all my worldly possessions that the average American does not know what "sisterlocks" are. :D Don't sweat it.

Keep it clean, keep it professional, be willing to bend if it came down to it and you should be fine.

Peace

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just going to go out on a limb here (I'm American and have only visited Europe), but a lot of the countries you want to study in have small African American populations (UK and the Netherlands aside). I highly doubt any of them would question the hairstyle of an American black in their country. Not to mention, the Netherlands has legalized pot, prostitution and euthanasia. I doubt they're weeding out candidates on hairstyles.

Even in America though, "sisterlocks" seem professional enough for women with the type of hair you have.

Haha true! Very true.

Thank you :)

You're Welcome!! And sorry to laugh at you but "manicured" hair ???:D

But then there are manicured lawns...Gotta look this up :)

Edit: I stand corrected and bow to your superior vocabulary OP. "Manicured" also = Meticulously trimmed or cut.

Last edited:
First time I've ever heard that term.

Anyway, Europeans are a hell of a lot more xenophobic than we are. Their culture and population are a lot more homogenous, so that's the reason why you see such a big backlash against the influx of Turks in Germany or Muslims wearing headscarves in France. I'm sure you'd be more comfortable in the UK (where there are a decent variety of minorities that doesn't cause that singularization of contempt) than in the Scandinavian nations. Countries like Switzerland have very strict immigration policies and limit the number of foreign docs, so be aware of stuff like that. I just wanted to give you that heads up and wish you the best.

First time I've ever heard that term.

Anyway, Europeans are a hell of a lot more xenophobic than we are. Their culture and population are a lot more homogenous, so that's the reason why you see such a big backlash against the influx of Turks in Germany or Muslims wearing headscarves in France. I'm sure you'd be more comfortable in the UK (where there are a decent variety of minorities that doesn't cause that singularization of contempt) than in the Scandinavian nations. Countries like Switzerland have very strict immigration policies and limit the number of foreign docs, so be aware of stuff like that. I just wanted to give you that heads up and wish you the best.

Depends on where you are and who you interact with. There is a very large African community in Europe, both legal and illegal so they have definitely become accustomed to black modes of dress and hair. And I don't mean black as in African American...more like tribal patterns and bantu knots.

I don't know whether or not that extends to the medical community, which tends to be its own little universe whatever country you are in. I know for a fact that in my country whose educational system and practices takes up after the European system, you have a very slim chance of getting into med school if you show up for your interview with dreadlocks. And this is among black people.

If you want OP, I can put a feeler out to the people I know who live and work in Europe and make a rough assessment of what they think.

Last edited:
Oooo Weee. Who cares. You are gonna look so cute. :)

You'll be fine. Most people don't realize SL are locs until they get close. They think they are micro braids, zillians, or just hair.

I have been natural since 1999, locs twice not. Its just how your present yourself. Just don't go in looking like a hot mess and you'll be fine. BUT... are you prepared for the COST of initial and maintenance of SL...?

Sisterlocks look great! You shouldn't have a problem at all. Remember, most physicians are old, white and bald. lol Having cool hair certainly adds to the much needed diversity.:D

I think the point here is being missed. OP is not asking about attitudes towards sisterlocks in the US. OP intends to attend medical school in Europe, where the perception might be very different. I still can't get over the tendency we have on this forum for selective attention.... Things are not going to be the way you want them to be just becasue you think they should be that way.

Since you seem dead set on going to Europe, OP, you might wanna use some of those 2 years you have left to investigate medical schools there as well as the countries you are interested in.