SIU MEDPREP 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaymellow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! Yes I have applied to Cycle 1, let the waiting begin lol

I submitted my application the day it was available online, I had been checking every day prior to that. No, I'm not an IL resident. What about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know anyone else who's applied or who's a current student. Hopefully we'll hear back soon, I hope we both get in!

Hello,

I applied and received an interview. I'm an out of state applicant. I applied the first day the app opened up.

Hi! We're pretty much identical, I applied day one, am also out of state and also received an interview.

Hey guys, I applied for cycle one and got an interview. Does anyone know how we are supposed to study for the science tests? I know some people will be looking over their chemistry/bio notes. Unfortunately, I do not have mine any longer and will have to find other methods. So any helpful advice will be appreciated.

Hey guys, I applied for cycle one and got an interview. Does anyone know how we are supposed to study for the science tests? I know some people will be looking over their chemistry/bio notes. Unfortunately, I do not have mine any longer and will have to find other methods. So any helpful advice will be appreciated.
Hey, congrats on the interview. Yeah, from previous posts, ppl have said there isn't really a way to prepare for the tests but if you don't have your notes go to Mcat-Review.org and Khan Academy. You should be good see you in November!!

Hey, congrats on the interview. Yeah, from previous posts, ppl have said there isn't really a way to prepare for the tests but if you don't have your notes go to Mcat-Review.org and Khan Academy. You should be good see you in November!!

Thank you.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I think it's just general stuff, nothing too intense.

Current First Year here at SIU MEDPREP! If anyone has questions I will be glad to answer!

Hi!! Congrats on making it in. :)Regarding the test on interview day, how detailed were the questions?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey thanks! MEDPREP is an amazing experience and there's no other post-bacc out there that offers so much like this one! In terms of tests do not get too riled up on them. They are more basic and straight-forward than I expected especially more simple than mcat questions. I would not worry too much on reviewing things. Maybe pick up an MCAT review book a TINY bit if you're worried but definitely do not go out of your way to buy them just for reviewing for the test. At the end of the day the tests aren't really something you can study too much for and could make you more nervous from worrying about them. Just come and do your best and be happy!!! It's an exciting day so don't let anything change that. ALSO most importantly the tests do not hold more the majority that goes into your admissions decision. Some people could be below the average in some areas and still have good chances of getting in! Don't forget this program is to help brush you up on all of these subjects so no one has to do stellar on them. Kill the interview which it is very relaxed and review the mission statement before you come! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks! MEDPREP is an amazing experience and there's no other post-bacc out there that offers so much like this one! In terms of tests do not get too riled up on them. They are more basic and straight-forward than I expected especially more simple than mcat questions. I would not worry too much on reviewing things. Maybe pick up an MCAT review book a TINY bit if you're worried but definitely do not go out of your way to buy them just for reviewing for the test. At the end of the day the tests aren't really something you can study too much for and could make you more nervous from worrying about them. Just come and do your best and be happy!!! It's an exciting day so don't let anything change that. ALSO most importantly the tests do not hold more the majority that goes into your admissions decision. Some people could be below the average in some areas and still have good chances of getting in! Don't forget this program is to help brush you up on all of these subjects so no one has to do stellar on them. Kill the interview which it is very relaxed and review the mission statement before you come! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Thank you soo much, looking forward to it!

No problem! Good luck to all of you and just remember to relax, be yourselves, and just have a good time with learning about the program and all it offers! Any more questions? Let me know!

Can anyone please let me know how previous rap sessions have went? Also, in which building do the rap sessions take place and is that building farther away from Wheeler Hall? I am asking because I am trying to determine if I will need to drive there and as a result will have to find the appropriate parking place and parking hand tag.

Can anyone please let me know how previous rap sessions have went? Also, in which building do the rap sessions take place and is that building farther away from Wheeler Hall? I am asking because I am trying to determine if I will need to drive there and as a result will have to find the appropriate parking place and parking hand tag.

Someone from admissions should contact all people taking part in admissions day about the rap sessions. However, my year it was in the student center which was only a 5 min walk away from wheeler. Rap sessions are usually on campus and someone will guide you to them.

Someone from admissions should contact all people taking part in admissions day about the rap sessions. However, my year it was in the student center which was only a 5 min walk away from wheeler. Rap sessions are usually on campus and someone will guide you to them.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Do you guys know whether the tests are computer based or paper based? Also, does anyone have any tips regarding the interviews? Thank you in advance.

Current First Year here at SIU MEDPREP! If anyone has questions I will be glad to answer!

@UMVoyager Does MedPrep accept students who may not educationally disadvantaged?

For example, I'm a nontrad post-bacc student (age 32), but I was accepted in Loyola's Prehealth post-bacc program. However, I am super broke, come from a very economically depressed area of Chicago, and my minimum wage EMT job is going to pay for my post-bacc classes.

I'm also considering taking my all med school pre-reqs at a community college because it's much much much more doable price-wise than Loyola's $6K per semester, but I fear that will hinder future med school admissions.

I've noticed MedPrep's website seems to prefer "educationally disadvantaged" applicants over socioeconomically disadvantaged students. Or should I just scrap Loyola and take my pre-reqs at Chicago State?

@UMVoyager Does MedPrep accept students who may not educationally disadvantaged?

For example, I'm a nontrad post-bacc student (age 32), but I was accepted in Loyola's Prehealth post-bacc program. However, I am super broke, come from a very economically depressed area of Chicago, and my minimum wage EMT job is going to pay for my post-bacc classes.

I'm also considering taking my all med school pre-reqs at a community college because it's much much much more doable price-wise than Loyola's $6K per semester, but I fear that will hinder future med school admissions.

I've noticed MedPrep's website seems to prefer "educationally disadvantaged" applicants over socioeconomically disadvantaged students. Or should I just scrap Loyola and take my pre-reqs at Chicago State?

Well first of all MEDPREP does not favor either educationally disadvantaged and socioeconomically disadvantaged. Both are prime areas the admissions board looks into, however, it does not strictly apply to those cases. Overall, if you identify as under-represented in medicine/dental, (African American, Latino, Native American, socioeconomically disadvantaged, educationally disadvantaged) then he or she has a right to apply. However, in order to do this program one needs to have a bachelor degree and are also required to have all or most (one class missing) pre-med courses completed since this is program can most likely described as a academic enhancer and not a career changer program (those that have not done the pre-med courses before). Also in terms of the Loyola program the prices of tuition sound the same maybe a little more than MEDPREP instate.

@UMVoyager Thank you for your response. I am an URM, AA female, low SES. The Loyola post-bac pre-health program - that estimated cost is only for 2 classes per semester at $722 per unit X 8 units vs. a full-time load of coursework at SIU at a similar price.

I guess what I meant was - would I have a better shot of getting into MedPrep if I went to community college and knocked out my pre-med pre-reqs and did well in them versus doing them at Loyola - honestly, it would be a stretch for me financially to do so, plus Loyola is really far from my house and job.

Going to Loyola - one might have the argument that I am/will be not educationally disadvantaged though price-wise, it will be difficult for me to afford.

@UMVoyager Thank you for your response. I am an URM, AA female, low SES. The Loyola post-bac pre-health program - that estimated cost is only for 2 classes per semester at $722 per unit X 8 units vs. a full-time load of coursework at SIU at a similar price.

I guess what I meant was - would I have a better shot of getting into MedPrep if I went to community college and knocked out my pre-med pre-reqs and did well in them versus doing them at Loyola - honestly, it would be a stretch for me financially to do so, plus Loyola is really far from my house and job.

Going to Loyola - one might have the argument that I am/will be not educationally disadvantaged though price-wise, it will be difficult for me to afford.

Whoops sorry for the mis interpretation. Well in terms of educationally disadvantaged that can be defined among a wide range of things which doing the pre-reqs at a non-four year university do fall under that. However, the majority of medprep are people that come from four year colleges, but they might of had distractions like having jobs through out undergrad, not a lot of support with advising, etc. In addition, one does not need to identify with both economically and educationally disadvantaged. I only identified with one but made sure I could apply that to my application as a whole and to the mission statement. I would say whichever you would choose that you think is better for you. If you do really well in your pre-reqs at community college then that could even be good enough to just apply to medical school overall however that kind of is a red flag. MEDPREP also does not want to see stellar students since they will feel like they would not feel the need to help you. If you really are interested in MEDPREP then be safe with the cheaper option and do the courses with community college then apply to MEDPREP. If you just want a good shot at medical school without having to do pre-reqs then doing a 2 year post-bacc (MEDPREP is a 2 year commitment) then i would do the Loyola program. There are so many paths to medical school as you know and you have to do what is best for YOU! just let me know if you have anymore questions :D

@UMVoyager Thanks for answering! My main thing is I'm an only child and my parents are dead. MedPreP seems to provide not only MCAT prep and upper division classes, but also a strong community of URM scholars...and Carbondale is gorgeous! I'm an outdoorsy hippie type and I'm sick of Chiraq.

I am terribly afraid if I get into medical school after doing Loyola (where I'll just be a face in a sea of undergrad strangers, not making connections during my post-bacc), I will feel just as isolated. I'm also very impressed with the quantity of medical schools that come to MedPreP to recruit, can you please speak to me about the MCAT scores - do you feel MEDPREP helped any? And what the medical schools? Can you please give me a list (or a few names you're familiar with) of where your fellow classmates matriculated?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks again for your responses.

Hey everyone! I am a current second year student here at MEDPREP and I am also available to answer any questions you may have about the program

@UMVoyager Thanks for answering! My main thing is I'm an only child and my parents are dead. MedPreP seems to provide not only MCAT prep and upper division classes, but also a strong community of URM scholars...and Carbondale is gorgeous! I'm an outdoorsy hippie type and I'm sick of Chiraq.

I am terribly afraid if I get into medical school after doing Loyola (where I'll just be a face in a sea of undergrad strangers, not making connections during my post-bacc), I will feel just as isolated. I'm also very impressed with the quantity of medical schools that come to MedPreP to recruit, can you please speak to me about the MCAT scores - do you feel MEDPREP helped any? And what the medical schools? Can you please give me a list (or a few names you're familiar with) of where your fellow classmates matriculated?

I am a current second year student at MEDRPEP and I can definitely say that MEDPREP helped me to improve my MCAT scores. The first year of the program is tailored specifically to MCAT prep but they do not teach everything and you will have to put in study hours outside of class time. Some schools that people have matriculated to in the past are: UIC, Loyola, Meharry, SIU, SLU, Northwestern, Duke, Dartmouth, Indiana U, UCLA-Drew, MCW, and many more. If you have more questions please feel free to message me.

Hey sorry for the late reply! Thanks to the second year that responded! If you are worried about great support then MEDPREP is definitely a great choice. The cap on the program is 36 which makes it more intimate and more individual attention oriented. Especially another perk is having MEDPREP's own faculty where you can see on the website. They also pose as advisors in order to receive more guidance. There definitely is a lot of support and help with transitioning into medical school with this program.

In terms of the MCAT, since it has changed there is not too much to know on these different scores until the class of 2020 takes their step 1s for boards. However, in terms of getting 500+ it seems like most are getting that or getting fairly close to that mark which still makes them competitive in the application process. The program is constantly updating its curriculum in order to have a better stance on this new MCAT (they had to do the same when changing to the old MCAT too) Even transitioning from the 2014/2015 year to the 2015/2016 there have been some beneficial changes.

Just like the second year has answered...there is a plethora of schools that MEDPREPers get into. Ones that are very fond of MEDPREP and might visit to give a presentation on their school include: Loyola, Saint Louis University, Rush, The University of Chicago, Wright State University, Indiana University, Case Western Reserve University, The University of Iowa, Dartmouth University, and like previously said there are A LOT more people get into from this program because the preparation that MEDPREP gives to their students is not like any other post-bacc program what-so-ever.

Hopefully this helps!

@UMVoyager @hlover0325 Thanks so much for your responses. This does seem like a great program and I'm really interested in attending.

Just one more question. Does MedPrep accept community college courses for pre-reqs? Thanks again. <3

@UMVoyager @hlover0325 Thanks so much for your responses. This does seem like a great program and I'm really interested in attending.

Just one more question. Does MedPrep accept community college courses for pre-reqs? Thanks again. <3
Yes! I believe so at least I know some that came in with a handful of community college courses. However, when you get here then youll be taking more classes at a 4 year college so i do not think it would matter.

Anyone apply to Cycle 2??

Last edited:
Anyone get accepted for cycle 1?
No, I didn't get accepted. I did attend admissions day. I will find out exactly why later this week when we have a meeting. Thankfully I applied to multiple programs. However, congrats to everyone that did get accepted in cycle 1 :). If anyone wants to know how the meeting goes let me know.

No, I didn't get accepted. I did attend admissions day. I will find out exactly why later this week when we have a meeting. Thankfully I applied to multiple programs. However, congrats to everyone that did get accepted in cycle 1 :). If anyone wants to know how the meeting goes let me know.
Keep your head up and stay encouraged! That's great that you applied to other programs, I sincerely hope one of them is perfect for you

Reactions: 1 users
For those who attended, How many people were at your Admissions Day with you!?

For those who attended, How many people were at your Admissions Day with you!?
Not many but it depends on how many applications they get and who they choose to interview. Also on which day ppl choose to interview, since they give us a choice. It's always a different number.

Did you get invited to Admissions day??
I have not, but I applied late Cycle 2 not early Cycle 2. I think they're still reviewing, at least that is what I understood from the email I received, basically that it could take up most of February.

Hey @DrCGreene can you speak about the interview process, from my understanding there are two interviews that will take place. How were the interviews and which types of questions threw you off track if any? I've been invited to Admissions Day for the second cycle and I want to prepare as best as possible. Thank you in advance!

Not many but it depends on how many applications they get and who they choose to interview. Also on which day ppl choose to interview, since they give us a choice. It's always a different number.

New
Hey @DrCGreene can you speak about the interview process, from my understanding there are two interviews that will take place. How were the interviews and which types of questions threw you off track if any? I've been invited to Admissions Day for the second cycle and I want to prepare as best as possible. Thank you in advance!

when did u get the email invitation???

when did u get the email invitation???

They sent me the email at the beginning of this week. They are still waiting on people to respond to their invitation and I am assuming if they have spots open they will extend the invitations to those next in line.

They sent me the email at the beginning of this week. They are still waiting on people to respond to their invitation and I am assuming if they have spots open they will extend the invitations to those next in line.
Hi! Sorry for the late response. I got my interview invite about a month after applying. The questions were pretty basic, nothing out of my expectations: tell me about yourself, why do you want to be here, why medicine, etc. just be yourself, it's more of a conversation than anything. The interviewers are extremely nice so there really isn't much to stress over. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hi! Sorry for the late response. I got my interview invite about a month after applying. The questions were pretty basic, nothing out of my expectations: tell me about yourself, why do you want to be here, why medicine, etc. just be yourself, it's more of a conversation than anything. The interviewers are extremely nice so there really isn't much to stress over. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Thank you for the response! @DrCGreene