This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMVoyager

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Second year student at the Medical/Dental Education Preparatory program currently applying to medical school. Wanted to start a new forum for potential applicants to start in summer 2017. The application has not opened yet but it will very soon. I will post when it is officially open.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
When clicking on the link the letter of recommendation form is update for 2017 but online application still says for 2016 applicants with 2015 dates?

The website has not yet been updated since admissions days have not been decided yet. I would still follow through with the application process even if the dates are not updated. I will inform Mr. Stevens.

Did/do you give long essay responses for all of the essay questions? I am currently revising my answers and wondering if it should be shorter/longer. Thanks!

Hey I gave 1-2 paragraph answers. Answer it as thorough as you want, however, do not make it too short.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I have a question. For one of the essay question that states "is there anything more you would like to tell us", is it bad that i truly have nothing left to say, I feel like I explain myself perfectly in all the other essay. I was able to incorporate everything ive done til now in all the other essay questions. Should i just repeat things but in a new fashion or would it be bad if i said something like "I believe I have sufficiently said all that I needed to say."?

Hi, I have a question. For one of the essay question that states "is there anything more you would like to tell us", is it bad that i truly have nothing left to say, I feel like I explain myself perfectly in all the other essay. I was able to incorporate everything ive done til now in all the other essay questions. Should i just repeat things but in a new fashion or would it be bad if i said something like "I believe I have sufficiently said all that I needed to say."?

If you do not have anything else to say then that is fine if you feel like you have expressed everything in your application that you needed to say.

If you do not have anything else to say then that is fine if you feel like you have expressed everything in your application that you needed to say.
Did you mention anything additionally in that question? UMVoyager?

I don't want to seem repetitive or pity party type. But I feel they have that there for a reason.

I don't want to seem repetitive or pity party type. But I feel they have that there for a reason.
I do not think there is a need to put additional information in there unless there is something that you did not mention yet you want to mention still. Otherwise if you feel content with your responses that you have already written then that would suffice. I did not add anything extra in that section on my application.

How picky is the admissions committee about the requirements? I had a form that was not completed 100% correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so nervous. Do people get a chance at Cycle 2 or no?

I am so nervous. Do people get a chance at Cycle 2 or no?
Hey just get in touch with Mr. Stevens tomorrow and check in on that form and see if you are complete. The majority of the class is chosen during cycle 2 so yes they definitely give people a chance in cycle 2.

Hey just get in touch with Mr. Stevens tomorrow and check in on that form and see if you are complete. The majority of the class is chosen during cycle 2 so yes they definitely give people a chance in cycle 2.
I got an email that everything is complete. So now I'll just wait and finish my applications to other programs.

I got an email that everything is complete. So now I'll just wait and finish my applications to other programs.

Sounds good! Just need to wait for a confirmation to admissions day then take it from there

I received an invitation to Admissions Day. I'm going to the one on Novemeber 21 and staying in Saluki Hall.
Do you have an tips for the test/essay and interview?
I'm so nervous!

I received an invitation to Admissions Day. I'm going to the one on Novemeber 21 and staying in Saluki Hall.
I'm so nervous!

I am still waiting to hear if I got an invite or not :unsure: I applied the day the application closed, when did you submit your application? Was your invitation in letter or email form?

Last edited:
I'm so nervous!

First and foremost the number one advice I can give is to be yourself! Definitely go into the interview process reviewing the MEDPREP mission statement and applying your own story to why this opportunity is meant for you. In terms of the tests it is not necessary for you to prepare for them. They are just meant to indicate what you know and if you are ready to take on the curriculum. However they are not the biggest weight in your admissions decision. Even some individuals are below average and still get in. They just want to indicate if you will be able to do the work at MEDPREP. In addition, the essay is not that bad. You write it throughout your day and turn it in at the end. Just another prompt explaining your reason to come to MEDPREP. Also there is no need to be nervous! You got the admissions day invite for a reason. Use this time to just put a face and personality to what you have written.

I am still waiting to hear if I got an invite or not :unsure: I applied the day the application closed, when did you submit your application? Was your invitation in letter or email form?
I received an email Sept 14 that everything was in.

I'm a bit late but good luck to everyone going to admissions day today! Question: do you bring bedding if staying in Saluki hall?

Does anyone have a working number for Saluki Hall?

For people who got interview, are you an Illinois resident?!?

How much linkage (if any) does this program actually have?

Congrats to those who have been admitted from Cycle 1! Welcome to one of the best post-baccalaureate programs in the country.

Reactions: 1 users
How much linkage (if any) does this program actually have?

Hey MEDPREP second year (MP2) here! In response to your question about linkage MEDPREP does have an alliance with the School of Medicine. To be eligible for the alliance you have to meet the minimum requirements for the SIU School of Medicine (MCAT - 498, Overall GPA - 2.8, BCPM - 2.8, and a strong committee letter from the Student Progress Committee). In addition, 3 free tuition scholarships are provided who are need based.

However, MEDPREP does not only prepare their students to enter SIU School of Medicine, yet they have connections to other medical schools across the nation aka MEDPREP friendly schools. These schools come to MEDPREP throughout the school year for recruitment by giving a presentation and setting up one-on-one mock interviews/consultations with MEDPREP students. Some of these schools include University of Chicago Pritzker SOM, Loyola University Chicago Stritch SOM, Rush University, Case Western Reserve University, Wright State Boonshoft SOM, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Iowa Carver, Dartmouth Geisel, etc. There are also a lot of medical schools that do not visit MEDPREP but they know of the reputation it has for preparing their students so they definitely give out a lot of interviews or other opportunities to MEDPREP students.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to those who have been admitted from Cycle 1! Welcome to one of the best post-baccalaureate programs in the country.

Thank you! I'm so excited and can't wait to start the program!

I was accepted too! I'm from Nashville, TN.

So is this how people find roomates? on this forum because I am not sure who all got accepted form Cycle 1

I believe once Cycle 2 is over a Facebook page will be made for our incoming class and roommate details can be hashed out there. The most I've seen in the past threads were outgoing second year's posting subleases.

Reactions: 1 users
So is this how people find roomates? on this forum because I am not sure who all got accepted form Cycle 1

Hey just to clear things up usually everyone waits until the whole class is made to see who will room together and whatnot. Cycle 2 will not be completed until the end of March and the class wont be fully decided until April most likely. Also us second year MEDPREP students will be moving out of Carbondale (except those staying at SIU SOM) and we will be subletting so usually all incoming students will receive an email about who is subletting over the summer and you can just take over the apartment for the rest of the year. No rush to get housing in Carbondale. Nothing is usually 100% booked so you all will be fine. In addition, I would highly recommend making a groupme once the full class is made so everyone can figure out everything together.

If you have anymore questions let me know!

What if your uGPA, particularly sGPA is below their 2.8 suggested mark?

What if your uGPA, particularly sGPA is below their 2.8 suggested mark?
If your uGPA/sGPA is under the 2.8 gpa requirement for SIU School of Medicine then you can not matriculate to the medical school. However, if you are very close to that mark then you will have to do well in the first semester of your second year to reach that threshold by the end of the application cycle.

You do not need to have those statistics to enter MEDPREP assuming that you will be able to increase both GPAs while in the program.

Do MEDPREP have any linkages to dental school??
Any is there any pre dental students who get accepted

Do MEDPREP have any linkages to dental school??
Any is there any pre dental students who get accepted
MEDPREP does not have an alliance with SIU School of Dental Medicine and no dental schools come down to visit. However, MEDPREP does accept pre-dental students and adjust the curriculum for their benefit. A pre-dental student in my class did get accepted to multiple dental schools including his top choice at Tufts.